Natural Rock??

I live on the shores of Lake Michigan in Southwest Michigan and the rocks around here are beautiful. I found some flat ones today that I thought would look good in my tank. I brought them home and did the vinegar test and none of them foamed.

Do these rocks need to be steralized before they go into the tank and if so how???

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Personally I soak them in vinger (good way to test them too, if they fizz they can't go in the tank) and then boil them.

I've used plenty of river rocks though and not had any problem. I do suggest testing your PH before you put them in and then every few days after you do for a couple weeks just in case.

Im not sure what these are made of but they are like a dark sand color and some of the bigger ones have holes in them that i thought bout putting over my air stone. They almost look like granite but they are tan in color. I guess i could do some research and see what types of rock are in the area.

Would boiling the rocks change the composition of the rock?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Im not sure what these are made of but they are like a dark sand color and some of the bigger ones have holes in them that i thought bout putting over my air stone. They almost look like granite but they are tan in color. I guess i could do some research and see what types of rock are in the area.

Would boiling the rocks change the composition of the rock?
If you could post a picture, I could probably tell you what kind of rock it is.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
boiling your rocks won't change there composition in the slightest. Mother Nature put a lot of work and time into creating those rocks- she wouldn't let a little hot water undo all of that ;).

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
The only way to change the composition a bit would be to melt the rock (which won't happen when you boil it in water), and then recrystallize it... even then, you'd need to add or remove stuff from it to change the composition dramatically.

If it's a type of granite you have.... the water does alter and weather the feldspars... but that takes hundreds of thousands -> millions of years... I think your rock will be just fine. :D

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
OK well I couldnt get my pics. to upload on here but I did some research and found out that the rocks are "coldwater shale"

The black ones that I found are GRANITE but I dont know if I will use them or not..
oooh. I have to see this granite! *BOUNCINGS

you can upload your photos onto photobucket (i use flickr) and then link them.