Uh oh, bad test levels

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Okay so I have had my 10 gallon tank set up since around 2/16. It has had fish in it since 2/23. I didn't realize until after I had joined MFT what cycling was. I just ordered my API Master Test Kit last week and it came today- had to wait for extra money.
Here are my results from this afternoon:
1. Ammonia 8.0
2. Nitrite 0.25
3. Nitrate 0

I now know that ammonia should be at 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20-40.

My question is this: What is the best and quickest way to fix my mistakes!!?
The booklet that came with the kit suggests using API Ammo-Lock to reduce ammonia, API Nitra-Zorb to remove nitrite, and only that to remove nitrate use Nitra-Zorb (which doesn't apply to my situation). It also suggests 25% water changes to help with ammonia but to add stress coat. And, API Stress Zyme to help nitrite as well as aquarium salt. I was wondering- should I just get some of that instant ocean and add to tank? Or get all the meds? Or water changes every day?

I also was wondering, when I do water changes, should I add to the water a dosage of aquarium salt for the amount of water I am adding and removing or for the whole 10 gallons?

Other information: 10 gallon. HOB filter. Heater. Bubble stone. Temp: 72. Plastic plants only. 2 fancy tale male guppies. 2 albino cory catfish. My last water change was last Sat 3/22. Fish seem fine. Is there anything else you need to know?

Eek, I'm a little freaked... Please help! :eek: Thanks in advance guys...

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
they just want you to buy their products, and instant ocean is for saltwater tanks, so no need for that. the best thing for you to do is water changes. i would change about 50% of your water, test it, and see what the ammonia is. keep changing it till it hits 0. test you water everyday till it runs normal, and you will probably have to do daily water changes. i've never used aquarium salt, but i don't think you need it. just do the normal water changes, and put new, dechlorinated water in. good luck!

also, feel free to crank the temp up a few degrees, mid 70s.

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I had the same problem when I set up my 10 gallon again...

Do at least 50% water changes each day to bring down the ammonia and nitrites. I was actually doing 2 water changes a day, once in the morning before school, and once at night when I'd get back. I'm sure that was stressfull to the fish, but it really helped with my ammonia and nitrites. I'd recommend using Prime. It gets rid of chlorine and chloramines, and should neutralize nitrites and nitrates for a short while (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I can't say whether Ammo-Lock really helps or not. I used it, but you still get "false-positive" readings, because the tests read both ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4) content.
I think instant-ocean is a different type of salt. I have API aquarium salt, but I don't use it anymore. I'm not sure if cories are sensitive to salt - I'll let an expert tell you this part.
I also threw in some live plants in there too - hornwort. I can't be sure whether that helped bring down the nitrites and nitrate levels too... but my hornwort grew rapidly, and nitrites and nitrates came down... again, I'll let someone with more experience and expertise chime in.

good luck w/your tank!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Okay well you know what don't worry. You're doing fine with what you have now. :)

First of all if you use Prime as your water conditioner it will detox your ammonia and nitrates for you as well as dechlorinating your water and won't hinder your cycling.

Secondly you have a small tank with a light bio load. This is a GOOD THING (tm). :) Water changes are easy on such a small tank. Keep a close eye on the water perameters. If I were you I would change out 25 to 50% every day until you get your ammonia down to 0 and then every other day while you keep your nitrites down.

Thirdly. No salt in a tank with cories. Some people do it. Others say it's bad. Personally I say it's not worth the risk. You know?

Lastly - Deep breaths. You're fixing it now. Everything's going to be okay.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
they just want you to buy their products, and instant ocean is for saltwater tanks, so no need for that. the best thing for you to do is water changes. i would change about 50% of your water, test it, and see what the ammonia is. keep changing it till it hits 0. test you water everyday till it runs normal, and you will probably have to do daily water changes. i've never used aquarium salt, but i don't think you need it. just do the normal water changes, and put new, dechlorinated water in. good luck!

also, feel free to crank the temp up a few degrees, mid 70s.
I figured that was a ploy to buy their products. I kinda thought water changes would be best too.
Isn't there a product like instant ocean but for fw?
Aquarium salt says it is a general tonic and stress reducer and provides essential electrolytes.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll stick with water changes daily.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Okay well you know what don't worry. You're doing fine with what you have now. :)

First of all if you use Prime as your water conditioner it will detox your ammonia and nitrates for you as well as dechlorinating your water and won't hinder your cycling.

Secondly you have a small tank with a light bio load. This is a GOOD THING (tm). :) Water changes are easy on such a small tank. Keep a close eye on the water perameters. If I were you I would change out 25 to 50% every day until you get your ammonia down to 0 and then every other day while you keep your nitrites down.

Thirdly. No salt in a tank with cories. Some people do it. Others say it's bad. Personally I say it's not worth the risk. You know?

Lastly - Deep breaths. You're fixing it now. Everything's going to be okay.

Okay, I had been using Top Fin water conditioner. I'll go out tonight and get Prime.
I agree- I think daily water changes have got to be healthier than all those meds.
OKay, no salt- agreed not worth the risk.
Geez, I didn't think the results would be quite this bad! Haha, I feel like such a noob. Thanks Tab. I was waiting to get some answers from you guys before I ran out to the store. I'm just glad I found this forum. You guys are way more helpful than google!

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
I had the same problem when I set up my 10 gallon again...

Do at least 50% water changes each day to bring down the ammonia and nitrites. I was actually doing 2 water changes a day, once in the morning before school, and once at night when I'd get back. I'm sure that was stressfull to the fish, but it really helped with my ammonia and nitrites. I'd recommend using Prime. It gets rid of chlorine and chloramines, and should neutralize nitrites and nitrates for a short while (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I can't say whether Ammo-Lock really helps or not. I used it, but you still get "false-positive" readings, because the tests read both ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4) content.
I think instant-ocean is a different type of salt. I have API aquarium salt, but I don't use it anymore. I'm not sure if cories are sensitive to salt - I'll let an expert tell you this part.
I also threw in some live plants in there too - hornwort. I can't be sure whether that helped bring down the nitrites and nitrate levels too... but my hornwort grew rapidly, and nitrites and nitrates came down... again, I'll let someone with more experience and expertise chime in.

good luck w/your tank!
Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out! I'll keep you guys updated. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Okay, went out and got Prime. Changed out about 3 gallons. Retested.
Results:
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

At least the ammonia has gone down. Will do another water change in the am and retest.

I assume, Tab, that I shouldn't use salt with cories because they are bottom dwellers and the salt just sits on the gravel? I had never connect 2 + 2 until now, makes sense though.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I assume, Tab, that I shouldn't use salt with cories because they are bottom dwellers and the salt just sits on the gravel? I had never connect 2 + 2 until now, makes sense though.
Actually, salt is in solution and all over the place. As water evaporates, though, the salt stays behind, and there's "more salt in less water".

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Most fish have scales on their bodies but cories don't. For what ever reason this makes them a lot more sensitive to salt and medications then other fish.

They're pretty hardy little guys other wise though.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Ah, okay.

Did another water change this am.
Results before water change: Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 0.
Results 1 hour after change: Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

I'm sure the drastic drops are due to using Prime, thanks Tab.

Is it odd that after having fish in a tank for 5 weeks that I still have no nitrates? Or is it possible that something else in the tank 'got rid of them'?

I have noticed already that my cories especially are more active. Yay.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The Prime doesn't remove the Ammonia it just makes it less toxic. What's causing the drop is that you're building up bacteria that eat the Ammonia. You should go into youe Nitrite spike soon.

Mine took a long time too when I fish in cycled my first tank. About 8 weeks to go through the whole thing. Just keep up what you're doing you'll be okay.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
When the ammonia gets to 0 and you start to see nitrites you can probably go to every other day (* unless they get really high). And then when they go down and you start to see nitrates you can go to once a week :)

You should keep your eye out for fish that are gasping or near the surface a lot. Ammonia poisoning burns their gills and nitrite poisoning interfers with their ability to absorb oxygen. Both will result in a gasping like behavior often.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Okay, yeah after seeing my results, I have been keeping a really close eye on them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

I've also noticed that I'm starting to get algae on my tank walls- I'd like st some point to get an otto- I assume it would be better to wait until after I've cycled? I can clean off the algae myself if needed.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Algae during the cycle (and the 6 months following the cycle while the tank 'settles') is really normal.

Ottos though are very frail little suckers, you need to wait until the tank is fully cycled to get one :) until then keep an eye not to over feed and not to leave the lights on in your tank too long taht will help. Your guppies may pick at it too but they won't likely make any serious dent in it. You'll need to clean it up yourself until the tank is settled (and beyond. My ottos refuse to touch the algae on my glass.)

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
just keep testing your water everyday, and changing the water based on those results (but it still will be almost everyday at this point). you are doing great so far. and i second the oto comment; they need a well established tank to survive (and even then that is sometimes not enough)