Question about filters..(newbie)

Mar 29, 2008
Hi, I currently have 2 Aquaclear filters on my 55 gal tank. I was wondering the pros and cons of switching to a canister filter? I was looking at the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000. Just a little background if needed, I have 3 coi fish,1 pleco and 4 neon tetra fish and no live plants. Any help would be great. Thanks

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
not sure about the model of filter you are looking at, but canister filters are the way to go. just better filtration all around. i know you didn't ask about your fish, but you have an interesting mix in there. koi do best in cold water, while your other fish do best in tropical. any future plans for the koi?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site. :) I don't know anything about the Penn Plax filters, but Filstar, Magnum and Eheim canisters are all popular and often recommended. I usuallly run a canister and a HOB (hang-on back) filter on most tanks that size.

The koi will need to go in a pond eventually. They will get to two feet! They really need their swimming room to be happy.

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks everyone for the responses. As the coi's go they are still small. I have had them for 2 years and they still got a ways to grow before they outgrow my tank. I keep my tank at about 75 degres that seems to keep the coi's and the tetra happy. Back to the topic, i had someone tell me that with the canister filters i will have to clean it more often then the filters i have now. I was told if i didnt have live plants, using a canister filter with out weekly cleaning would put back some of the things it cleans up to begin with.
Was this person right?

If you don't have plants then the filter isn't going to get too clogged up from debris.
I really can't say that I clean my Ehiem Pro canister any more or less then the Penguin HOB filters that it replaced. If anything I would say that I clean it less only because the water can't go around the media and out an overflow when the media gets clogged.
YMMV, so clean the filter when you do a w/c and see how gunky it is. You can always adjust your cleaning schedule after you see how the filter is handling your tank.

Cannisters pros:
You can hide the equipment under the stand.
It's usually quieter.
Much better for planted tanks then an HOB.
You can control the output (although it may require extra investment).

Cannister cons:
Canister filters may require a little more work to clean then an HOB (although some HOBs are hard to clean too).