Cycling with Fish...what a long strange trip this has been!

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Cayucos Beach, California
Today I had "0" Nitrites.....It has been almost 9 weeks. Is this the longest anyone has heard. I have a 36G. tank with 8 zebra danios. They are so happy today but not as happy as I am. Thank you all for all your encouragement.

I tested the water often.
I still fed them twice a day.
I didn't use cycle until just a few weeks ago and a shot of stress zyme last week. I have only done small water changes at about 10% twice a week for the last three weeks and a 25% water change the other day. I'm sure as I add new fish I may have more questions. But if you decide to cycle with fish really think it through. 9 weeks is along time to wait!!

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
Yes. Nitrates have ranged from 5-20ppm. Today they were low. Now shouldn't nitrates stay at 40 or lower, never over 40. My assumption was in the lower numbers. Tell me more about nitrates. And what to watch for now. I want to wait a few more days to test nitrites and make sure they stay at 0 before I get more fish. Any suggestions are always welcome.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If you have Nitrates then you're fully cycled.

COngradulations.

Nitrates are the end product of the cycle, Ammonia's turned into Nitrite which is then turned into Nitrate.

Nitrate won't harm your fish and will fertalize your plants if you have any but should be kept UNDER 40ppm. (Some fish are more sensitive then others and need to be kept under 20ppm). A weekly water change of 20 - 30% should keep it under control so long as you're not over feeding.

Last edited:

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
that is a long time... I started with eco-complete, bio spira and cycle and had a complete cycle in about a week...
Where were you when I needed you? I wonder if I had used those products with my fish in the tank if it would have speeded up the process. I was a little chicken after 7 weeks to add anything for fear I would screw it up but thought what the heck and added a bit. I read that you should continue with the stress zyme or cycle weekly to maintain a healty balance is that what you do? Are you talking about a 75G tank stocked with some fish?? or fishless?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I edited my above post with some more information that might help you before I saw your response.

Test again and confirm that Nitrites are low and then you're good to go. BUT add fish slowly. One or two at a time if possible.

djbids

Medium Fish
Feb 2, 2008
I am good to go. I added more fish and watched them closely the first day. My angels were cautious in a bottom corner. They were out of the corner the next day and up and eating and swimming with their tankmates today. My pleco also was quiet and has been eating at night. My glass cats are also mixing well even with the light on. I have one that hides until its dark but all seem to be adjusting well. Will wait to see if I might add 2 more. Not sure yet.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I think your biggest problem to the long cycle was overfeeding.. before I get flamed here... in an established tank what you were doing with feeding 2x a day is normal.. but in a tank that is cycling you should of went down to feeding once every couple of days. fish can live for weeks and sometimes months without feeding.. so don't worry about them starving. your nitrifying bacteria couldn't keep up as they were growing.. they were trying to take care of what was in the tank already AND take care of what was being produced with feeding them 2x a day.

I found out the hard way too.. so Im not bashing you. My 29gal tank cycled for 7 weeks. I was doing 50% water changes daily. on my new tank.. it cycled in less than a week. and I still only feed them every other day.. they are fine.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
pwrmacG4,

My fat fish agree. Feeding once a day or every other day is probably ideal especially when cycling. I had the same experience when cycling fish in in my 10G (about 8 weeks) but with my 29G it was about a week. I attribute being a much more knowledgable fish keeper (and having LOTS of cycled media on hand) to the second go around being smoother.