Types of Food - Feeding Questions

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
There are SO many different kids of food out there for fish.

Looking in general, for a community tank, with bottom feeders, livebearers, Angels, etc... as I researched all these different kids of fish, They are all saying the (insert type of fish) needs General Flake, Bloodworms, frozen cubes of 'whatever' and will also take sinking shrimp pellets, and the occasional treat of live Brine Shrimp.

Now I understand the value of a "Balenced Diet", and I know I have just gotten back into the hobby after about a 15 year hiateus...but Sheesh

I guess what I'm asking is, in Your Opinion, what is the best way to approach the Balenced Diet for these guys? I'm ok with feeding 3-4 different kinds of foods, just not 7 or 8.

And Cichlid-Man...I already have a can of your "Most Tasty Spectrum Treat" that you are chowing on in your Avitar...lol

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
With your current fish I would mostly use tropical fish flakes and algae wafers (since you have a lot of bottom feeders in there) and suppliment with blood worms and blanched veggies maybe once a week (on differant days).

Personally I know that god I have a bazillion little jars of fish foods here.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I agree...some flake food and wafers and you'll be fine. Granted, my fish probably eat better than I do since I give them a lot of different foods to eat. Now that it's warmer I'll probably even get back into raising my own mosquito larvae.

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this, but I think we all worry far more about what our fish eat than they do...

I generally use Tetrafin complete as it has a mix of floating and sinking pellets (don't know if this brand is available in US!!!), then throw in some flake, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, as well as the occaisional lump of cucumber.

I mix it up for variety, but the truth is the hungry little fellas just devour everything that goes in.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I generally use Tetrafin complete as it has a mix of floating and sinking pellets (don't know if this brand is available in US!!!), then throw in some flake, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, as well as the occaisional lump of cucumber.
When I got my 29G they put a rather large bottle of Marinland Lab's BioBlend in it and it's similar, some of the little bites float, some sink. My fish in my 10G seem to like it a lot.

I tried to give it to my babiy black skirts but they can't seem to eat the little bites yet (I think they might be too hard for them).