Two months of growth

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
Photo comparison of my green stylophora (my first and only SPS), pics nearly taken two months apart:

20 Feb 2008 (I purchased it the previous day)

18 Apr 2008

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
I use Seachem's Reef Complete and Arm & Hammer baking soda.

I also use Oceanic salt mix which I've found to have high calcium content.

I use the Reef Complete immediately after a water change and maybe once again before my next water change (I do water changes about every 3 or 4 weeks). I add baking soda 3x a week (mon/wed/fri).

My target levels are

Calcium (420-450ppm)
Alkalinity 3.2-4.2 meq/l (9-12 dKh)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
you use it to raise the alk.....

Kaybee you may want to check your magnesium levels, should be 3 times the ca......and if it is down either ramp up the water changes or check out dosing epsom salts occasionally to raise it....neither the reef complete nor the baking soda will increase the mg......if you use a two part you still need to add the mg once every 6 - 8 weeks or so depending on how often you need it.

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
I use baking soda to increase alkalinity and replenish bicarbonates.

According to the label, Reef Complete contains includes some magnesium (though probably not at the quantity for the purposes of increasing mg levels).

I've actually never tested for magnesium (probably something I should do), but I feel that the magnesium in my salt mix (combined with the periodicity of my water changes) is keeping mg levels where they should be. Indeed, a test would confirm this.

With that said, I'm not sure I'd recognize indications of a magnesium deficiency in a reef tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well just a word that maybe you should check it....just to be on the safe side. I lost all my sps last year due to a mg crash. I wasn't testing for it and wasn't adding it but I was adding ca and alk daily.......sent the mg params out of whack and my sps was lost through rtn. Maybe it had nothing to do with it but ijust a coincidence. Now I just dose Randy Farley Holmes 2 part with mg supplement. No problems.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
That is impressive.

I'm pretty new to SW so forgive my ignorance? Are there any drawbacks/ill effects to using common baking soda in a tank long term? The research I did on upping my Cal/Alk level didn't mention this as a cheap solution. It seemed like everyone who offered advice on other boards uses "whatever" brand of commercial supplements.

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'm not aware of any long term adverse effects using baking soda, though from what I understand there is an initial temporary slight decrease in pH.

I know some hobbyists take it a step further and bake the baking soda (300-350F for 30min) to convert sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate (which is more effective in increasing pH from what I understand, but I have no low pH issues).

Here's some more info:
Chemistry and the Aquarium

Chemistry and the Aquarium