Sump for Freshwater tank

Apr 26, 2008
I am new to all this, and have been trying to read up as much as I can before purchasing a tank and equipment, and have perusing around here for a while reading up on other's experiences.

Lately I have been offered the opportunity to purchase a 4ftx2ftx2ft tank which has a drilled intake hole for a 2ft sump tank which is supplied as well. This does appeal to me, as to start off with I want to go tropical, but later on want to tackle saltwater.

I know little about sumps, and especially when it comes to freshwater, there is little information out there on the net. What I would like to know is what I would need in this sump for a freshwater tank, after the filter pad and bio-balls? I am sure getting a cannister filter would be easier, but I don't want to buy one if I can use a sump instead, especially since I want to go saltwater later down the track.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
not sure if you have the bioballs already but there are other substrates you can use for biofiltration, i've been using ehfisubstrat, seems to have a very large surface to volume ratio, some might direct you to a better substrate.

As far as what else to add, you could do carbon if you want but from what i know it's not nessary. Something i considered when setting up my tank with a sump (went with canister instead) was to have a chamber with plants and a light over it, like refug in saltwater. I figured something like javamoss whould be good, doesn't need a lot of light and loves well flowing water, i would think it would do well down there.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Other than the filter pad and bioballs, you don't really need anything else. As epond says, you could put some carbon in, but it's generally not necessary.

On the freshwater tank we run with a sump, we do have an additional canister filter, but it's probably not really necessary.

Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for your replies.

not sure if you have the bioballs already but there are other substrates you can use for biofiltration, i've been using ehfisubstrat, seems to have a very large surface to volume ratio, some might direct you to a better substrate.

As far as what else to add, you could do carbon if you want but from what i know it's not nessary. Something i considered when setting up my tank with a sump (went with canister instead) was to have a chamber with plants and a light over it, like refug in saltwater. I figured something like javamoss whould be good, doesn't need a lot of light and loves well flowing water, i would think it would do well down there.
Bio-balls will already be supplied with the sump. Just simply plan on rinsing them and starting afresh with a cycle. I read up on java moss and that seems to be a great idea.

Other than the filter pad and bioballs, you don't really need anything else. As epond says, you could put some carbon in, but it's generally not necessary.
You have both said Carbon can be put in the sump, but not really neccesary, is there really benefit for it or is it more hssle than it is worth?