undergravel filter system

Apr 29, 2008
We are installing an undergravel filtration system in 20 gallion hex tank. What is the water level for the elbows at the top...submerged or not submerged?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I would SERIOUSLY recommend a Hang on Back (HoB) filter instead of the undergravel. I tried one out in a small tank recently and it was horrid.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
noooooooo. not a hob. they are noisy and i think useless. undergravel is ok. i have had an undergravel filter the last 10 years with no problems. but at the same time i had a mechanical in-water filter aswell. i regularly clean the gravel and it works wonders.

whatever you decide to do research it. =]

Dan.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
noooooooo. not a hob. they are noisy and i think useless. undergravel is ok. i have had an undergravel filter the last 10 years with no problems. but at the same time i had a mechanical in-water filter aswell. i regularly clean the gravel and it works wonders.

whatever you decide to do research it. =]

Dan.

My Aquaclear 20 and Penguin 200 are both VERY quiet. I sleep about 2 feet from the latter! :)

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
My Whisper 60 and Aquaclear is not loud at all. The only time they bother me is if the water level in the tank gets too low and the water sounds like a waterfall. Solution: Add water to tank. And if my filters get clogged and the water gets back up it gets loud. Solution: Rinse/change filters. HOB's are the way to go.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
We are installing an undergravel filtration system in 20 gallion hex tank. What is the water level for the elbows at the top...submerged or not submerged?
If you don't want all the spray from the bubbles, if that matters, do a Half submersion of the outlet.

However, as long as the water can fully exit the uplift tube, you are ok. It may loose some pull if it is too far out of the water. I recommend using it partially submerged or below. I use mine below the waterline.

UGF alone are not the best means of filtration, usually there should be a combination of filtration (UGF, HOB, internal, canister, air driven box-type), is the better way to filter. That way if something happens to one, there is a backup, and one filter is good at one thing, while the other picks up on the slack that the other is weak on. You get the point.

You may or may not be looking to use something in addition to an UGF, but I recommend at least one of the above mentioned types in combo with the UGF, to complement the filtration needs of your tank.

Good luck. *BOUNCINGS