id help

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
Hi all,

Tank has been running smoothly for about 2 years now, then about a month ago I started seeing these little cream colored hair things in the midst of my Button Polyps. Now the polyps don't look to good. My Mushrooms still look great and there no sign of these things by them. Any idea what these hair things are, if they are indeed damaging my coral, and how to get rid of them? see attachments.

thanks for any advise!

Attachments

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It does look like they're bothering your zoas. I'd take the rocks out and pick out as much as you can. They might be sponges, or bryopsis or something.

I'm assuming your zoas aren't opening all the way most of the time (like in the pic).

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
yep, that rock used to be covered with open zoas. they also might be dispersing, as they are now on the surround rocks too, and look healthier there. Taking a bit closer look at the rock, the rock they were attached to may have moved a bit too. It strange that I don't see these hair things anywhere else in the tank, perhaps a hitchhiker on the rock that the coral came on?

Do you recommend tweezers or something like that or just picking at it with my hands. I'd heard that the oils in your hands aren't good for coral, but I've not had much experience with being hands-on with them.

thanks much!

It does look like they're bothering your zoas. I'd take the rocks out and pick out as much as you can. They might be sponges, or bryopsis or something.

I'm assuming your zoas aren't opening all the way most of the time (like in the pic).

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Tweezers will work. Some people use a soft toothbrush (not previously used, of course) to remove this kind of stuff.

Of course, these are zoanthids, so you should make sure you wear eye protection and have no open wounds on your hands if you're touching them. Also, make sure you wash your hands very thoroughly after, and dispose of any water you've been working in.