Betta and Gourami in same tank

Jun 10, 2008
North carolina
So I just put my crown tail betta in my 30 gallon tank with my Gouramis. So far everyone has been peaceful. My large blue gourami who I was most worried about hurting my betta actually seemed kinda afraid of the betta.
I didn't know this was a bad idea until I read it here about 15 minutes ago. So has anyone else had success with keeping a betta with Gouramis?

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
First of all how many gouramis do you have? Second people on here just give advice not strict rullings. I mean i have done things that they would say wasn't right but my fish are as happy as can be. No technically it's not a good idea but if they are getting along than it's fine. I'm just worried that the gourami will hurt the betta. If you have another tank to put the betta in, well that would be great. You might want to get rid of one or two blue gouramis because they do tend to fight..and kill. Anyways good luck with the betta and gouramis.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have a female dwarf gourami and a female betta in a 10 gallon. There was a bit of fin nipping at first, but that was over after day 1.
Where'd you get a female DG?? They are hard to find, I was looking into breeding them when i first got back into keeping fish but could find a female locally and didnt want to hassle with ordering online.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Where'd you get a female DG?? They are hard to find, I was looking into breeding them when i first got back into keeping fish but could find a female locally and didnt want to hassle with ordering online.
There's a LFS here in Houston that sells them. I bought a pair, but the male died a month later. Everytime I go they have a surplus of females. I think they breed most of their own fish. I've had a peek at their back room, and I've seen a lot of large fish tanks.