Literally dro[pping money in my tank

Jun 24, 2008
Will dropping money in my freshwater tank harm my generic angelfish?

Or more specifically:
I have 29 gallons of freshwater bow front property that all belong to one generic old store bought angel fish. He is 2½ years old now and getting quite large. He lives alone because he kills everything I put him with, including 4 angels purchased with him. I really do have a soft spot for my murderous little Caligula. I would like to decorate his tank with money. I have a small coin collection, and am wondering if dropping some old silver coins in there (they are clean, and chemical free) will harm him. I have a couple of pennies in there with him, but the pennies have been with every fish Ive had for the past 10 years. Also, other than getting it dirty, will the tank water harm my silver?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Copper IS lethal to fish (and invertibrates especially). In small doses it's not bad but concentration it is very damaging. It's entirely possible that it's that copper that killed some of the previous tank makes or weakened them which is why he was able to kill them himself. I would get those pennies out.

I don't know about silver in coins. Gold would be expensive but the safest metal to put in a tank I would think since it's not absorbed.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Overall, I wouldn't risk it. But depending on the conditions of your water, you might get away with it longer before it started adversely affecting your fish. Basically if your water is on the softer side with a low pH then this is going to eat away at the metals faster than with harder water with a higher pH.

If you really wanted to do it, I would think about coating the coins in a clear epoxy safe for aquariums (any epoxy that's safe for use in potable water containers will do). This will seal the coins, making them water proof, and keeping anything from leaching into the water. I have no idea if something like this would work well or not, but it's the safest thing I can think off.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
If you have to put coins in, like Orion said, seal them. BUT.. the your coins would be altered in a way you may not want, BUT.. it is the only way to be safe in putting them in your tank, if you feel compelled to do so.

Save your fish/invertebrates and mini eco system, and save your coins worth, DON'T to put them in your closed aquatic environment.

Alternate plan, look for some plastic fake coins (if they make them), but just beware of the materials they are painted, or made, with.

good luck.

Jun 24, 2008
Hmmm. Well, I doubt two indian head pennies hurt those other fish. I used to have two 5 gal betta tanks, and kept one penny in each. One of the bettas (from wal*mart) lasted 2 years and the other lasted 3½. As far as the metal content, I am talking about a roll of mercury dimes. Obviously I would take them out of the roll first, because I do not think fish like paper. I just wanted something to do with the dimes. They arent much to look at in a roll.

For the past year that fish has lived with a peace dollar in the tank, but if that is potentially harmful to him, I will take it out.

I just took it out. I now have one very unhappy Caligula. I think he misses his dollar. I tried to get both pennies, but lost one in the gravel. I suppose if my fish really needs bling, I can draw some on the front of the tank in sharpie marker.

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I'm just the type that will caution on the side error. So if I'm not sure exactly what something's going to do in one of my tanks, I tend to play it safe and not do it :)

Sorry that I can't be any more forthcoming with information, I just don't know. I don't know at what levels different metals become harmful to fish, and how the metals break down in the water. Also different things like dechlorinator and the everyday things we put in our tanks may also have unknown effects on the coins. There's a lot of different variables to take into account.

It's a very neat idea though. If you can find a safe way to do it I say go for it all out. If not an epoxy, what about some type of acrylic I wonder?

Jun 24, 2008
I suppose I could always just get him some new scenery and an album for the dimes. he totally has new sharpie coral drawn on the outside of his tank. I know he has got to love that.