30 Gallon Stock Ideas

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
So I'm inheriting a 30 gallon tank from a friend who no longer wants it.

It was originally stocked with cichlids and a pleco. I'll be keeping the pleco, but other than that, I will need to buy a whole new stock of fish.

Any cool ideas?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You may want to move the pleco depending on what kind he is (if he's a bristlenose he'll stay small, if he's anything else he's going to out grow that tank).

A 30's a nice size tank I find especially for a beginner planters if you want to try your hands at that. Some drift wood and some hardy plants, a good light and you can have a really pretty community tank.

Do you want to try something completely differant from what you currently have? You could go for a biotope specific tank. South American and get a couple of German Blue or Bolivian Rams or some Apistos. Some funky tetras for dither fish too. Or you could go Asian and get some small loaches, a small school of rasboras and either a fancy Betta or a gourami as a center peice fish.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Discus need much more then 30G

I'm not sure about angels. When they're little they're tiny but I've seen them grown HUGE. Maybe some of the cichlid keepers can help you there.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
A pair of discus would do fine in a 30gal, but then you are limited to almost nothing else in the tank. Same with angels really, a pair would be hard on anything else in there i think. A single angel with various other community fish might work.
Wow really? I'll note that down. I was told previously you needed 50Gs for discus.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I thought I read that you should have at least 10 gallons per discus... of course other factors come into play.

I hear they can be pretty difficult fish. Water must be in pristine condition... at the prices I've seen them here, I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $50 for a young discus to give it a try.

chefrossco

Small Fish
May 30, 2008
suffolk england
discus need a lot of attention to prevail, water must be perfect. and really you need to have more than 2 like a shoal of 5 + so id have to say no to discus , my stock for a 30g would be some blue rams, keyholes , dwarf goramais, plattys , or even some leaf fish - anything that wont get too big and that can have a larger amount of swimming space.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My Firemouth and Barbs are for sale if you want them :p Im getting rid of them because we are putting in a pond (soon) and I need the 90G for the Goldies so Im keeping my most expensive fish :p (The Hai Reefs), not because I dont like them. I wish I could keep them honestly.