Saltwater Reefer to Freshwater

Jul 7, 2008
So Im curious about starting up a freshwater tank. Ive had my 24 gallon mixed reef up for almost a year now, attached picture. Im drawn to freshwater because I understand you are able to get a bit more fish inside of a tank as opposed to saltwater, which brings me to my question.

In saltwater, using dechlorinated tap water is a sin, yet in the sticky, it says theres no perfect pH other than your tap. Is it possible to use RO/DI water to fill up your tank without ill effects?

I looked up a cichlid I saw at my LFS, the Labidochromis caeruleus or Electric Yellow Cichlid. Fishprofiles.com says "A large tank is not required and will often compliment a community tank." How big of a tank does this mean, 20 gallons? 30? 55?

And also it says "The water should contain Malawi cichlid salt and a high pH." Cichlid salt? Are cichlids brackish?

And my final question, lets say in a 30 gallon tank, could I be able to keep different species of cichlids ok, if they stay fairly small (~5-6 inches fully grown)?

Thank you. I hate being at the beginning stages all over again *GOLDFISH*

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Bigger is better for cichlids. Especially fish like labs, which are Mbuna. A type of rock dwelling fish from Malawi. They like big groups, so a bigger tank is usually needed. Not to mention they get like 6". I've kept labs in a 30gal, but i like mbuna better in a tank like a 55gal. You get to see the full potential of their behavior IMO. You are very limted to species and stocking numbers in a smaller tank.

RO water, Tap water....i use whatever for freshwater. As long as its not like a super low pH you should be fine.

No salt. I personally think its snake oil, some people use it but ehh...skip it and save some trouble.

30gal? Limited. If thats your only choice i'd stick to a single species, a smaller species. Pseudotropheus saulosi or Pseudotropheus Demasoni. The Pseudotropheus saulosi provide a nice blue and yellow contrast with each sex. The Demasoni really should be kept in at the very least a 36" tank. Same with labs i'd say...

There are other options, like dwarf cichlids, Lake Tang species, etc. Its just hard to do Mbuna in anything under like a 40ish gallon tank at least.

Jul 7, 2008
Ive never heard of cichlid salt and you dont need it. 55gals are perfect for an african cichlid setup. Thats what i would prefer. I would keep researching for awhile and read up on as much as you can.
Okay thanks, that clears up the salt. Im still reading up. I need to get some extra money until I start planning. One thing I also havent been able to find out is if there are any dwarf cichlids or any small fish like cichlids? Thanks

Jul 7, 2008
Bigger is better for cichlids. Especially fish like labs, which are Mbuna. A type of rock dwelling fish from Malawi. They like big groups, so a bigger tank is usually needed. Not to mention they get like 6". I've kept labs in a 30gal, but i like mbuna better in a tank like a 55gal. You get to see the full potential of their behavior IMO. You are very limted to species and stocking numbers in a smaller tank.

RO water, Tap water....i use whatever for freshwater. As long as its not like a super low pH you should be fine.

No salt. I personally think its snake oil, some people use it but ehh...skip it and save some trouble.

30gal? Limited. If thats your only choice i'd stick to a single species, a smaller species. Pseudotropheus saulosi or Pseudotropheus Demasoni. The Pseudotropheus saulosi provide a nice blue and yellow contrast with each sex. The Demasoni really should be kept in at the very least a 36" tank. Same with labs i'd say...

There are other options, like dwarf cichlids, Lake Tang species, etc. Its just hard to do Mbuna in anything under like a 40ish gallon tank at least.
Okay, thanks. I typed my last response, submitted it, and yours was up haha. Im not too surer what I would aim to put in the tank just yet, so Im not exactly looking to cater to any particular species, just a tank where I could keep some cool plants and a nice community tank.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Dwarf SA cichlids would be more for what your looking for if you want plants. Mbuna will tear the plants up, but i have heard of some plants working u would just have to find the right kind. im sure cman would know if there was a plant or not that would work

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Yeah they are a nice choice. Stay small for a Mbuna species and have the contrasting color.

I'm not saying a 30gal can't be done (though some people will) but if you can go with something like a 55gal, 75gal, or even like a 40breeder or 45 i'd go that route.

EDIT: Dwarf cichlids like Apistogramma or Rams would be nice in a small planted tank. They can be kept in the 20-30gal range very well.

Jul 7, 2008
Yeah they are a nice choice. Stay small for a Mbuna species and have the contrasting color.

I'm not saying a 30gal can't be done (though some people will) but if you can go with something like a 55gal, 75gal, or even like a 40breeder or 45 i'd go that route.

EDIT: Dwarf cichlids like Apistogramma or Rams would be nice in a small planted tank. They can be kept in the 20-30gal range very well.
Dwarf SA cichlids would be more for what your looking for if you want plants. Mbuna will tear the plants up, but i have heard of some plants working u would just have to find the right kind. im sure cman would know if there was a plant or not that would work
Thanks for the help. If I were going to get another tank, I would need to get a stand so I would probably go for a 55 or something around that size. I was looking around at the SA Cichlids, particularly the dwarves. According to PetEducation.com, good candidates look like Apistogramma sp. and Microgeophagus ramirezi (I like this one the best). From a tank condition standpoint, it looks feasable. Could I keep 2 different SA cichlid species together?

Im going to look up methods to keep planted aquariums, but can I keep plants with these?