buying fish and plants online

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
I live in a really rural area. Our local fish store is crap! There are a number of fish that I would like to get when we get our tank stabilized such as rainbow varieties that are not carried at petco or petsmart, which is my only other option at about an hour away drive one way. I haven’t ever ordered fish online. Has anyone here ever ordered fish or plants online? What was your experience?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I've ordered live coral online. Probably in between fish and plants as far as sensitivity goes. Close to fish. It went very very smooth i was really pleased. But you must take into account where you buy from and how its being shipped.

Living in a rural area do you get good service from the Post Office, UPS, and FedEX? In most cases vendors online will use UPS and FedEx overnight to ship livestock (plants might be different because they can live longer?) or use USPS if you are really close. Just might want to think about their service to your area before you jump in.

Be sure to maximize your order to make it worth your time. Shipping sucks, everyone raises their prices now because the carriers raised prices to account for gas. So don't order like 1 fish and pay $50 shipping. If possible (smaller vendors usually) Get in contact with the seller beforehand and talk to them, just general questions maybe about their setup, their water, etc so you know where the fish is coming from. Ask for additional pictures if you can.

What kinds of fish are you looking for?

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Have you asked your LFS if they can order what you want? Maybe they next time they place an order they can request what you ask for. Mine is pretty good about that. In fact, yesterday I asked them to order a female pearl gourami. They had received a male and female pair recently that another customer had ordered but never bothered to go pick up. I walked out of the store with both.

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
Living in a rural area do you get good service from the Post Office, UPS, and FedEX?

Be sure to maximize your order to make it worth your time.

What kinds of fish are you looking for?
I think our UPS and FedEx are pretty good. I wouldn't order anything that would be shipped via USPS. The site where I found what I want has a $30 min order so no worries about getting just one fish, unless I order an expensive one. The problem I have is that I was told not to introduce more than 5 new fish at a time. That means ordering something that costs about $6 each and the fish I want don't.

I want: 5 glowing Tetras. Five because they are schooling and I read they like to be in odd numbers of at least 5. Zebra Danios and I need an algae eater. The last one I got was probably too small for my tank and he didn't make it long.

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
Have you asked your LFS if they can order what you want? Maybe they next time they place an order they can request what you ask for.

That is a great idea. Thank you. I didn't think of that. I will have to give them a call. They don't carry much of a variety, but that doesn't mean they can't order other fish. *BOUNCINGS

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
That is a great idea. Thank you. I didn't think of that. I will have to give them a call. They don't carry much of a variety, but that doesn't mean they can't order other fish. *BOUNCINGS
Most local stores will order plants in for you too on request. :)

I would rather spend the $50.00 in shipping charges to drive a ways and brows there then have them shipped given the choice.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've sent and received both plants and fish. Most of the fish I've ordered have been from other hobbyists on Aquabid.com. It's not too bad, as long as you're home to receive the fish, and you avoid extreme temperatures in summer/winter.

Plants are always less stressful, because getting dead plants isn't as upsetting as getting dead fish. Plants can also take three-day delivery. If your LFS isn't able to order only a few plants, you may need to go that route. I believe most wholesalers need a big plant order, so your LFS may be more willing to order fish than plants for you.

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
I will probably need to change the light. I don't know what the wattage is, as it has either faded off, or put in where the writing doesn't show. It is a long florescent bulb. I haven't looked into what kind of plants I want, but I do know I want moderate light and hardy plants.

butters

Small Fish
May 11, 2008
if you have the one that came with the fish tank it problably has 15 to 20 watts wich is not that good if you wana grow lots of different types of plants

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
I don't know if this is what came with it new or not. We got the tank used from a fish store that was downsizing to all 10 and 20 gal tanks.