still don't understand QT

I still dont understand the concept of a quarantine tank. Are you suppose to put 1 fish in the tank for a certain period of time? Are you suppose to use chemicals on them to prevent the fish from getting sick even if you dont see any signs of illness?

1G- betta
20G-2 goldfish ,1 balla shark, 1 pleco
20G-1 Midas cichlid, 1 blood parrot, 1pleco
75G- empty just bought it and plan to transfer my cichlids and get more cichlids from pet store

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Basically, when you buy new fish you keep them in qt for 2-3 weeks. During this time you can observe for illness or parasites (such as ich) and then treat accordingly. I think it also gives them time to acclimate and build strength before they go into another tank with other fish. If you don't qt you can introduce unsuspected diseases into your main tank. Like I did when I bought new fish and put them straight into the main tank. Then I wound up with ich. As a result, I've lost 3 fish.

The QT tank should always have a filter running with established bacteria. You can rob your main tank of some filter media to establish this when needed if you want. Other then that the tank can be as bare or ornamented as you want. I like some plastic floating plants, and maybe a log at the bottom... something to make that fish feel safe. I feel like a fish that feels safe will heal better then one with the additional stress of fear.

A QT tank has different uses at different times.
Buying new fish
When you have an established fish tank you are dealing with a self-contained ecosystem. A foreign disease or parasite could wreak havoc amongst an unprepared environment like this.
Placing new fish in a QT tank allows them time to display any problems that they may have brought with them. Parasites will show themselves probably within a few days, and definitely within a few weeks. Disease will appear in a similar way. You can then treat these fish with the right anti-biotics without having to treat the main tank.

Sick fish
If you find a fish in your main tank that's sick you can remove it hopefully before it makes the rest of the fish sick. Then you can monitor and treat it independently of the main tank.

thanks guys this was very helpful, it just kills me to have to wait 2-3 weeks before transfering my fish in the main tank. But i am learning that fish keeping is all about patience.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1G- betta
20G-2 goldfish ,1 balla shark, 1 pleco
20G-1 Midas cichlid, 1 blood parrot, 1pleco
75G- empty just bought it and plan to transfer my cichlids and get more cichlids from pet store

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
There's definately alot of patience involved.

The QT tank should always have a filter running with established bacteria. You can rob your main tank of some filter media to establish this when needed if you want. Other then that the tank can be as bare or ornamented as you want. I like some plastic floating plants, and maybe a log at the bottom... something to make that fish feel safe. I feel like a fish that feels safe will heal better then one with the additional stress of fear.

A QT tank has different uses at different times.
Buying new fish
When you have an established fish tank you are dealing with a self-contained ecosystem. A foreign disease or parasite could wreak havoc amongst an unprepared environment like this.
Placing new fish in a QT tank allows them time to display any problems that they may have brought with them. Parasites will show themselves probably within a few days, and definitely within a few weeks. Disease will appear in a similar way. You can then treat these fish with the right anti-biotics without having to treat the main tank.

Sick fish
If you find a fish in your main tank that's sick you can remove it hopefully before it makes the rest of the fish sick. Then you can monitor and treat it independently of the main tank.
And it get really costly to treat with meds in a much larger tank versus a small 10G.