Fish For Turtle Tank

jbacker7

Small Fish
Jun 29, 2008
Northeast Nebraska
I think I may give the turtle to a friend or release him back into the pond where I got him. I'm starting to think I may just want a fish tank and it may be better for Roger to be put back into his natural habitat.

Jul 12, 2008
Reading, PA
I think I may give the turtle to a friend or release him back into the pond where I got him. I'm starting to think I may just want a fish tank and it may be better for Roger to be put back into his natural habitat.
Once you have taken an animal from the wild, you should NEVER release it back into the wild.

You can upset the natural balance of the ecosystem. If your turtle has picked up anything while being in your care (they don't have to look or be sick to pick something up), it could then spread into the entire painted turtle population in that specific water body. It could even go further than that.

NEVER EVER release animals back into the wild after they are taken home.

Your turtle can get up to about 10 inches depending sex. Find someone to take it, please don't release it.

On another note, you are on the right track with the fish. You can use anything you want, so long as you understand the turtle WILL eat it if it can catch it (and in most cases just leave the dead carcass floating around), and the fish need to be able to live within a tank that has crazy water chemistry, since turtles are very messy.

Good luck - very cute turtle.

adm9

New Fish
Jul 28, 2008
Do you think cories would work in my tank? Because I'd like to have some kind of small bottomfeeder to keep the bottom clean. And what about zebra danio's they're pretty cool lookin fish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have guppies and plecos with my turtle. The guppies get eaten occassionally but their birth rate succeedes their death rate. They are fun to watch and plecos make good bottom-feeders and glass-cleaners if they are significantly larger than the turtle.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
From what I read....convicts are crazy breeders..The ones I saw at the store today were about the size of my turtle, an inch and half long. He wouldn't try anything with them, and the fry would probably keep him occupied. And they sound quite aggressive and he wouldn't put up with that, he'd just swim away. My substrate as of now is river rock. Would that be ok? Let me go find the camera....
You're tanks way too small to add convict ciclids, let alone what you already have...