How much peat moss to use to lower pH?

Jul 11, 2008
Sunny California
So the baseline pH measurement for our local tap (after treated with a dechlorinator) is 8.0~8.2. It's a bit on the high range for our tastes and since we don't have any cichlids we would like to lower the pH to the 7.5 range. So the question is, in a 30g tank, how much peat moss do we have to use under our substrate to lower the pH down to a more neutral range?

I do realize that this is a difficult question to answer due to the high KH value that often accompanies hard/alkaline water but I would appreciate any guesstimates. :)

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I would not worry about lowering pH unless you have a legitimate reason (breeding) and the means to do so properly. Fish can acclimate very well to a wide range of conditions. However, if you do wish to keep fish in their "ideal" enviornment, I would advise you to purchase a Reverse Osmosis (RO) unit. Regardless, it's not the pH that is the issue...it's the KH value that matters the most. Despite what I just said, in the majority of cases, the pH and KH values have little to do with overall fish health. Consistent tank maintenance have the most significant impact of all variables.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
I'm wondering the same. i've been thinking about discus and all the info i've looked up says they need a low ph not more than 7.4 and around 5.5 for breeding. and sphagnum peat moss is the recemonded method (if you can't afford a RO system) with the side effect of tea colored water.

like Avalon said they say a RO system is the way to go if you have a lot of big tanks cause in the long run it will save you lots of money. they just say that don't use just RO water to fill a tank cause it could take your level of ph too low because the water is sooooo clean and pure (yummmmmm). i would like to look into one myself cause i have 2 big tanks, but from what i've read they sound very expensive and i don't know if i can afford one.

Do you have a RO unit Avalon ? if so what size/type do you use ? i see now some aren't toooo expensive about $160 but some can get up around $400. what do you suggest ?

so for now i'm looking at setting up a 29 gal tank just to find out what it takes to get the ph where i want it to be. i would like to do this to my 110 gal but don't want to rock the boat with what fish i have in there already. so yeah if anybody has any answers at to how much peat moss it takes to change the ph in a tank from 8.2 to apx 5.5 to 7.4 i would really be interested. Thanks.

Last edited:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
they say a RO system is the way to go if you have a lot of big tanks cause in the long run it will save you lots of money. they just say that don't use just RO water to fill a tank cause it could take your level of ph too low because the water is sooooo clean and pure (yummmmmm).

This is complete nonsense because I know from experience that RO water doesn't allow for pH drops to go "that low," even when forced. RO water is very safe to use. Considering water's pH readings, it takes something to raise it, as well as something to lower it. It simply doesn't happen on its own. It's also excessively difficult to reach the extremes of water parameters.

As I said before, unless you have a specific reason for keeping specific water parameters, you're wasting your time. Clean, highly oxygenated water, and good routine maintenance will help most of all.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Sorry to miss your question! I use a 6 stage, 100gpd (gallon per day) RO filtration system from Aquasafesystems on ebay. I do not use the 6th stage--the DI stage.

When using RO water, you should have a perfect 7.0 pH. If your aquarium water is testing higher, then you have a buffer present. If you want to lower it outside of removing the buffer, then carbon dioxide is the best way (plants or not). I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. If you're asking what raises pH, then CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) is most likely suspect; however, there are other possible reasons.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
not your fault Avalon you missed the question, i added it to late. what i'm asking is what will make my ph go from 7.2 out of the tap to 8.2 in the tank. i heard rocks can do it but how do i test the rocks if thats the case ? i'm not sure what else to look at.

Jul 11, 2008
Sunny California
not your fault Avalon you missed the question, i added it to late. what i'm asking is what will make my ph go from 7.2 out of the tap to 8.2 in the tank. i heard rocks can do it but how do i test the rocks if thats the case ? i'm not sure what else to look at.
Isolate the variable. Bucket > tap > dechlorinate > add item in question > wait a week > test pH.

If you have enough buckets, you can do this all in one go.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
It's possible that your tap water contains a lot of CO2 (most tap water does), and when it off-gasses, your pH raises (since CO2 lowers pH). It could be the type of rocks you're using or something in your substrate. Fill a cup up tonight with tap water, let it sit out overnight, and test it in the morning and see what you get.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
I bow to your greatness Avalon. :) we tested the water, overnight in a cup, and got a reading of 8.0/8.2 when, the water that went in the cup was apx 7.2/7.4.

I have to agree that CO2 is the sound choice, but now i'm wondering that with the CO2 out of the pic,as it was just a cover up of the truth, what is it, that is really in the water which is causing my ph to go up. I need to know for sure that whatever the root cause of my ph problem is and that a RO unit will cure it, before i buy one.

i saw on one box, that it placed lead,(ph 6.5)& copper in the same row just like i typed it. i'm wondering if it means that it removes lead leaving me with a ph of 6.5? i looked at some today (RO units) but need to check some more. any info you can help me with would be greatly appericated.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
I'm sorry Silence if i've pulled away from your question with my own. but what i did find out from one lfs is that you can get peat moss in little bags from some of the bigger fish stores. He didn't know how much to use but if it's in little bags (which i was told how it comes) and if you have a extra hob filter you could put little bag in place of where filter would go. you could try one at a time and see what it does for your ph. i don't know if you should put peat moss under your subtrate, but maybe run your water through it so it pulls the tannis (i think thats how its spelled) out and into the water (aka like a tea bag hahaha) and of course your water will turn a light tea color and i'm guessing that the more peat moss used the darker your water will become. the lfs also said that if you get the peat moss from a place that has it for aquariums then you know it will be clean. i'm not so sure about the peat moss ,in the yard and garden area of the big stores, being as suitable but i haven't looked into that possibilty yet.