fish aquarium novice with some questions

Jul 25, 2008
Hello all im kinda new to these forums, so any how i have had this tank for about 8 years. I recently just added some fish to it but am exsperancing a die off of the new fish I have o_O.
the dimentions of the tank I have are 24" long 12" wide and 16" deep. I have a 50 gallon rena filtration system running in it. When i did the water quality tests for amonia nitrogen they read 0 results. For the water ph I got a 6.0 to 6.2 test result. I have the water at 80 digrees F.
In the fishtank i have 4 fake plants and one castle structure, with course gravel about 20lbs of the gravel in the tank.
As for the fish in the tank i have 1 zebra danio 1", 7 guppys 4 males 3 females 1" to 1.5" long and one orange fish I cant reclall for the life of me what its called but 1" long, and lastly 3 marble hatchets .5" long.
any advice is welcome on this as I'm trying to figure out a good tank setup.
wildfirevs

Attachments

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not too experienced, but I do have some thoughts. First of all, the danio is a schooling fish and tend to do better in groups. It sounds like you have a 20 gallon tank, which means you could add a few more without overstocking. The orange fish, if it is one of the more common ones might be a platy, or a swordtail? Whatever that fish is, your pH actually seems low, outside of the parameters for both the danio and the guppies. I don't know if this could be the cause of your problems, but hopefully someone more experienced will jump in here and talk about that. Just some thoughts.

Jul 25, 2008
water was a bit acidic compared to normal parameters that i found on the web. Orange one would indeed be a platy, i did have 2 others of the danio but 2 of the original 3 I got passed, along with one marble hatchet. Only things I can think of causing the exasperation is lack of aeration in the water possibly as the filter i have does create many air bubbles, would any one know a way or devices to help with that?

Jun 21, 2008
I don't think that too many air bubbles would cause a lack of aeration, on the contrary, keeping the water moving is what allows it to be replenished with oxygen, I'm pretty sure. Glad we figured out what your orange fish is. The acidic water seems like it might be a problem though. You could try a water change to balance it out. From what I've read, it seems like a water change rarely hurts, and often helps.

Jul 25, 2008
How much water should I change out in the 20 gallon tank? Also in above post that was a typo go go posting when little sleepy... meant that the filter does NOT create many air bubbles so I went and added one of those figurines that moves up and down to create some extra aeration in the tank.

Jun 21, 2008
Right, ok. I would guess 20% or so, which would be 4 gallons in your 20 gallon tank. But, I'm just going off of things that I've read and research I've done, not a lot of experience with dealing with this sort of thing. Hope I've helped at least some. And, anyone else, feel free to jump in here if I've said anything wrong.

Jul 12, 2008
Reading, PA
When i did the water quality tests for amonia nitrogen they read 0 results. For the water ph I got a 6.0 to 6.2 test result.
By nitrogen do you mean nitrites? If so, 0 is good. Assuming you meant nitrites, you should pick up a nitrate test kit and find out what the tank is. You should also test the pH of your water source for the tank (tap?), as well as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I wouldn't worry too much about a pH that low, unless something recently caused it. pH of 6-8 is generally ok for most fish (imo), but a wild swing from say 7.5 to 6.2 could cause some serious damage.

Since you said you added new fish and they are dying off, I thought I might add something else. When you acclimate your fish, don't add the bag water to your tank. A pet store's water is NOT your water, and will likely have a different chemisty. Will it kill things, probably not, is it safe, maybe, but I never do it, and I would recommend you don't either.

In order to fix your problem, you need to find out what is causing the die-off. I suspect it either has something to do with the new fish you added or water chemisty (which is probably true of most fish deaths). Find out all the info you can about your water with tests (tap and tank), then you can start down a road to correcting your death issues.

Good luck!*thumbsups

Jul 25, 2008
water ph = 6.2
nitrite test = 0 parts per million
chlorine test = 0 parts per million
ammonia test = 0 parts per million
i don't have a nitrate test kit atm, whats the difference between the two o_O?
i use distilled water in my tank as the tap water around here is questionable at best especially with the addition of unknown factors such as fluoride ext in it.
Attached is pic of new tank setup with bubble figurine in it
thank you for any advice wildfirevs

Attachments

Jul 12, 2008
Reading, PA
water ph = 6.2
nitrite test = 0 parts per million
chlorine test = 0 parts per million
ammonia test = 0 parts per million
i don't have a nitrate test kit atm, whats the difference between the two o_O?
i use distilled water in my tank as the tap water around here is questionable at best especially with the addition of unknown factors such as fluoride ext in it.
Attached is pic of new tank setup with bubble figurine in it
thank you for any advice wildfirevs
Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all part of the nitrogen cycle. Nitrate is the end result of a process that is carried out by the bacteria living within your filter, substrate, and anything else in or associated with the water in your tank. Ammonia and nitrite should almost always be 0 or extremely close to it. Nitrates are removed by weekly/bi-weekly water changes. The main difference is an extra oxygen molecule (NO3 is nitrate, NO2 is nitrite). Nitrite is about as, if not equally as, dangerous as ammonia to fish. Nitrate is less dangerous, but still toxic at high enough levels.

In a tank that is 8 years old, with no big changes in the system, it could stand to reason, that as long as you keep up with water changes, ammonia and nitrites will remain around 0. Nitrates in that same system could be anywhere from 5 or 10ppm to 30-40ppm and remain safe for fish. This is where test kits come into play. You must test for these things on a regular basis no matter how old your tank is. The results from the tests are what clue us in on things that are happening within our tank, possibly before we have fish deaths.

Using distilled water in a fish tank is not a good idea in any way, shape, or form. The ONLY time I would use it is to top off an already existing tank, with good chemistry, in order to lower pH/alkilinity a bit, but even then, I probably wouldn't use it. Distilled water is essentially, water without any of the absorbed minerals (like calcium or magnesium), which gives water the ability to keep a desired buffering capacity. By buffering, I mean it allows the water to maintain it's current composition or chemisty, protecting our fish from dangerous chemisty changes.

Every municipal water system in most modern, developed nations contains fluoride. While toxic in large amounts, it is not toxic to the point of instant death for fish. While I'm not sure if it evaporates from the water like chlorine, I have used tap water for years (in 2 different states) with no negative effects. Your tap water has NO unknown factors. Call the water company and ask them what chemicals are added during treatment. This is also why you need to test your tap water. The pH isn't the only important measure of tap water, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates need to be tested as well.

If you have been using distilled water for the entire life of this tank, I think you should consider yourself very lucky you haven't run into issues before. It has horrible buffering abilities. Like I said before, wild swings in pH can cause severe fish stress, which almost always leads to fish death. Tap water is your friend. Just make sure your remove the chlorine/chloramine and ammonia if present.

You could also just chalk this up to getting some diseased fish or something. But if you are going to do something, it's always best to do it right!

Good luck with the fishies! :)

Last edited: