New tank- Ammonia not dropping?

keithk831

Medium Fish
Jun 15, 2008
Provo, UT
Last week we set up our new 26-gallon bowfront tank. On Monday, we got some ammonia (just ammonia with water- nothing else added) and with 1 tablespoon I got the level to 5ppm. It hasn't really dropped much since. I have added about 1/3 bottle of Nutrafin Cycle, about 12oz of water from our 5-gallon tank, and I even set the filter from the 5-gallon in front of the 26-gallon filter for a little while. Still nothing.

Is something wrong, or am I just too impatient? I would have expected after this long the ammonia would start dropping. I havent had to add any ammonia since the first treatment.

Jul 12, 2008
Reading, PA
Last week we set up our new 26-gallon bowfront tank. On Monday, we got some ammonia (just ammonia with water- nothing else added) and with 1 tablespoon I got the level to 5ppm. It hasn't really dropped much since. I have added about 1/3 bottle of Nutrafin Cycle, about 12oz of water from our 5-gallon tank, and I even set the filter from the 5-gallon in front of the 26-gallon filter for a little while. Still nothing.

Is something wrong, or am I just too impatient? I would have expected after this long the ammonia would start dropping. I havent had to add any ammonia since the first treatment.
Pretty sure the whole process can take up to 3 weeks. I think impatience is the answer.