Dumb ? about snails

Jul 22, 2008
Indiana, Pa
OK. I have a 29 gallon aquarium right now. It has 2 female adult platys and ummmm 20 fry I believe (give or take). I was hoping more were eaten, and they weren't, but now i'm going to have lots of penguin ones. :D (I guess they are called Tuxedo Platys, but mine looks like a little penguin darting through the water.)

Anyways, I got some of the decorations from my mom's boyfriend instead of spending a lot of money on that stuff right now. They had been out of water for probably 2 years or more. I scrubbed them clean with a new toothbrush and very hot water. Can snails survive this? I noticed last night that i had 1 little snail zipping around the tank. Today I see 2. I had a snail in my small tank, but never in this one and supposedly that snail in my small tank is not able to have babies and it was not in the big tank. How else could they have appeared in my tank? Am I going to have a problem with a million of these little things?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Snails won't have come in on anything that was dry for two years. They could have come in on plants, or with water from the store.

Snails usually don't overpopulate unless you're overfeeding and not cleaning enough. If you don't want them, just remove them when you see them in the tank.

Jul 22, 2008
Indiana, Pa
Thanks for your reply. I didn't put the water in from the store. I netted the fish out after acclimating them. And the only plants I have are fake ones. Oh well. If I get too many, I'll just start plucking them out. Thanks again :)