Help!

Aug 19, 2008
I have recently bought two goldfish with a standard tank, say 30cm x 20cm. They are a comet and a shebunkin(?)

I have recently noticed that the fish are often swimming to the top for a few minutes at a time and then going back down. Through doing some research, i think that this is because I dont have a filter and the fish do not have enough oxygen.

Can anyone help with any advice? Also, what type of filter would be best for me? Thanks

First off, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place.

I've never had goldfish but I've heard that you need at least 15 gallons for one gold fish and then an extra 10 gallons for each additional one. Sounds like your tank is too small. :(
Goldfish produce a lot of waste, I believe, so you definitely need a filter. Did you cycle the tank? That could be part of the problem.
The water probably doesn't have enough oxygen in it so they're trying to breathe from the surface.

To do list:
- Do a water change so the fish get more oxygen.
- Get a larger tank or get rid of the fish. Not sure how big yours is, but I'd go with the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water rule except for goldfish as stated above.
- Get a filter, every tank, in my opinion, should have a filter, unless it's a saltwater.
- Get a test kit if you don't already have one. Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Supplies at AquariumGuys.com has the "api master test kit" which is cheaper than the chain stores and really helpful.
- Wait around for more info from other people. :)

Good luck! :D

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
well from what i could find from converting 30cm X 20cm to what I am used to this tank is 11.8in x 7.9in which is roughly 2g. (7.5 liters) Is this correct? If this is correct you have very few options, Kissy gave you a few suggestions but the only real option IMO is to get a bigger tank or get rid of the fish, I honestly wouldnt purchase a filter or anything else until you decide which of these 2 options to go with. If these measurements where a rough guess then measure it and post the actual dimensions here, give us Length, width and height. then we can give you an accurate capacity and possibly give you some more options.

Welcome to the tank.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Also, please get a filter as Kissyboots explained. It can only be emphasized over and over again that goldfish produce a lot of waste. Goldfish lack a stomach and only have an intestinal tract, so they can not digest excess proteins like tropical fish can. This causes an extreme build up of toxic waste over a shorter period of time. Make sure your temp is not too high. Goldfish are a cold water fish, between 60 - 70 degrees F is optimal temp. You definately do not need a heater with goldfish. Get some type of aerator for your tank, something that creates bubbles that will help oxygenate the water. The better the filtration and aeration of water, the more goldfish you can have in your tank. You should also do weekly water changes to help with the waste removal. Some people think that goldfish are an easy fish to have because they require little maintenance, but it is far from the truth. They require quite a bit of attention.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Also, please get a filter as Kissyboots explained. It can only be emphasized over and over again that goldfish produce a lot of waste. Goldfish lack a stomach and only have an intestinal tract, so they can not digest excess proteins like tropical fish can. This causes an extreme build up of toxic waste over a shorter period of time. Make sure your temp is not too high. Goldfish are a cold water fish, between 60 - 70 degrees F is optimal temp. You definately do not need a heater with goldfish. Get some type of aerator for your tank, something that creates bubbles that will help oxygenate the water. The better the filtration and aeration of water, the more goldfish you can have in your tank. You should also do weekly water changes to help with the waste removal. Some people think that goldfish are an easy fish to have because they require little maintenance, but it is far from the truth. They require quite a bit of attention.
I disagree on the buy a filter part here, if the measurements given are accurate then this tank is to small for any goldfish, and they really should be returned or a larger tank bought. Why waste the money on a filter for this tank when in the end it wont help anything (with the current stocking). The general rule is 20g per 1 goldfish then 10g for each additional. There are many options for this tank, sorry goldfish are not one of them.

The point here Chelle_e is not to tell you what to do but to give you as many options as possible for you to make an educated decision. Only you can decide which is right for you.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Brian,

What I was trying to say was that if chelle e got a bigger tank, a filter would be nice. No, obviously a filter on a 2 gallon tank or smaller would be useless and a waste of money, but if they were to buy let's say a 10 gal, then yes, a filter would be good. When I was young, like about 7 or 8 years of age, I had goldfish for several years. I started off with a small bowl and did water changes every week. When I upgraded to a 5 gallon, I had a filter with charcoal and filter floss which was powered by an air pump and sent bubbles back up to the water surface. I still did water changes on a weekly basis and themn upgraded again to a 10 gallon following the same regiment. Eventually I grew tired of goldfish and traded them in for FW tropical fish.

My point is that if you follow these steps, you can successfully raise goldfish.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Brian,

What I was trying to say was that if chelle e got a bigger tank, a filter would be nice. No, obviously a filter on a 2 gallon tank or smaller would be useless and a waste of money, but if they were to buy let's say a 10 gal, then yes, a filter would be good. When I was young, like about 7 or 8 years of age, I had goldfish for several years. I started off with a small bowl and did water changes every week. When I upgraded to a 5 gallon, I had a filter with charcoal and filter floss which was powered by an air pump and sent bubbles back up to the water surface. I still did water changes on a weekly basis and themn upgraded again to a 10 gallon following the same regiment. Eventually I grew tired of goldfish and traded them in for FW tropical fish.

My point is that if you follow these steps, you can successfully raise goldfish.
Thanks for clarifing that, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page :)

Aug 19, 2008
Thanks for replying so quickly.

The tank is more or less 30cm width, Id say that the measurements I gave were more or less accuratem give or take a few centimetres.

I think what would be best for me is to purchase a new tank, a larger one, with filter facilities.

I have kept fish before, a few years ago though and they were the same, skimming the surface to breathe. They survived for only a year or so. At least I know why.

What size tank should I be looking at? Also, are all filters electronic?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The process of filtering the water envolves moving the water from one location to another. Unless you want the job of constantly (24/7) pooring water in your filter with a cup then some electricity is used. Even sponge filters use an air pump that need juice to run.

You need at least a 30 gallon to house the 2 fish you have. Goldfish are carp and do get huge.

Meet Bruce

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The process of filtering the water envolves moving the water from one location to another. Unless you want the job of constantly (24/7) pooring water in your filter with a cup then some electricity is used. Even sponge filters use an air pump that need juice to run.

You need at least a 30 gallon to house the 2 fish you have. Goldfish are carp and do get huge.

Meet Bruce

so is bruce dead? o_0

Striker2807

Medium Fish
May 8, 2006
Tennessee

Meet Bruce

How I am so going to tell people about Bruce at work when they are trying to buy these goldfish and put them in a bowl.

IMO i say find a new home for the goldfish. They get too big for most aquariums and without a filter to help keep the water clean, ammonia levels will skyrocket.
Generally this is true, but if the person understands that goldfish get large and will in turn need a large tank it can be done. They would also need to understand they will need to be doing weekly water changes (should be with or without golfish) to keep ammonia levels down and the water clean because goldfish do and will put out a lot of waste especially if they are feeding them a lot.

Unless it is Koi then it should be in a pond that is one fish IMO unless you have a VERY LARGE tank has no place in an aquarium. Again that is just my opinion.

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Holy crap, Bruce is HUUUUUGE!!! LOL! My goldfish live in the pond from March thru November...sometimes December if it's a mild fall...biggest one I ever had was about 8" from head to tip of tail. I had her for about 4 years.

That reminds me...gotta start cycling their tank soon...sigh...