BLuegill problems!

williamC

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2008
I caught this bluegill and put it in a fish tank with 2 3-4inch goldfish a red eye tetra and a danio a great danio and a little albaino catfish.
He wont come out of the corner half the time and he wont eat yet.
I have had him for about 2 days and just wondering if there is something wrong im doing or if its the fish.

Are your water parameters right for the bluegill? What size is the bluegill/tank? If its a wild caught fish it could have diseases harmful to your other fish.It might just be the shock of captivity. Some fish have trouble just adjusting from tank to tank let alone from the wild to a tank. Its like taking a rich man from his three story home and throwing him into a prison in mexico, that first month is going to be hell.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Just give him time to acclimate, for some fish it can take over a week. As long as your water parameters are all good he should be fine.

You do need to do some research on the current fish you have. All but the tetra and danio shouldn't be in a tank that small, and you have cold water fish mixed with tropicals. Tropicals need a heater, the others don't.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
how big is the bluegill? sounds like it's in shock. you just need to be patient. natives take a bit of time (weeks) to adjust and to get used to "fish food."

i would not keep the bluegill with your current stock, as bluegills are coldwater fish (lose any heaters you might have). plus, chances are, the bluegill will eat the other fish.

any pics?

Jun 21, 2008
I caught this bluegill and put it in a fish tank with 2 3-4inch goldfish a red eye tetra and a danio a great danio and a little albaino catfish.
He wont come out of the corner half the time and he wont eat yet.
I have had him for about 2 days and just wondering if there is something wrong im doing or if its the fish.
If the fish going in the 10 gallon tank are the ones listed here, then that's still not room for the 2 goldfish. Also, you still have the compatability problem that goldfish are cold water and the danio and tetra are tropical, needing much warmer temps. I'm not sure if the catfish could adapt to cold water or not. I believe from what I've read that the general goldfish rule is 20 gallons for the 1st one and 10 gallons for each additional one. It might even be somewhere previously in this thread, I don't remember though.

williamC

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2008
that tooo much for me the goldfish get along just fine and the other fish get along in the same water well also.
The bluegill will be going in my 14 gallon tank all with a algae eater or corycat and another bluegill

Jun 21, 2008
It's not about them getting along, it's about them needing different temperatures and keeping the water clean enough for them to be not stressed out and have happy, long lives. Ultimately it is up to you, I'm just letting you know what is recommended.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Gotta add this, many people refer to many different species of sunfish as Bluegill, I have a green sunfish that will eat anything that enters his tank, i tried keeping some large shiners in the tank until i used them as bait..they lasted less than 12hours..he couldnt swallow them but damn if he didnt try. I feed mine pellets,wafers, insects, and minnows.

As was mentioned, no heater is needed....check out the link in my sig for a native forum, it is full of good info with many people that keep and breed north american native fish.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
how big is the bluegill? sounds like it's in shock. you just need to be patient. natives take a bit of time (weeks) to adjust and to get used to "fish food."

i would not keep the bluegill with your current stock, as bluegills are coldwater fish (lose any heaters you might have). plus, chances are, the bluegill will eat the other fish.

any pics?

Bluegills range from the Everglades in Florida to the Northernmost tip of Maine. They are very adaptable, but the tank water should mimic the water they were caught in.

Bluegills should not be in a 10g tank, they get way to big (up to 4 LBS) and they are piscavores and will eventually find the tetras to be a yummy snack.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
that tooo much for me the goldfish get along just fine and the other fish get along in the same water well also.
The bluegill will be going in my 14 gallon tank all with a algae eater or corycat and another bluegill
Bluegill get way too big for a 14g tank or even a 25g. Since they act and are preetty much similiar in size to South American Cichlids, you should house them similiarly.