Re-stocking advice

I know I've posted something similar before, but I forgot where...

I want to get rid of all the swordtails in my 20g and replace them with something cool. Unfortunately rams don't seem to be an option anymore. :( I need something that my family can take care of when I go to college next year, but also something that I can enjoy now. (Who knows, I might even get rid of that tank before I leave...)

So, anybody know of a really low maintenance fish that could go in a 20g with 4 cories and maybe a couple otos?

*twirlysmi *twirlysmi *twirlysmi

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Ditch the cories?!?! Ok, maybe you don't know. :) I raised them myself and they are my favorite fish, second only to Weebo. :D The cories will never ever go. :)
Ohhh, well in that case XD my bad! I guess add more cories, danios, barbs... how do cories do with semi aggro fish? If it's applicable I'd go for a rainbow shark or maybe a gourami of some sort?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You could also do a school of threadfin rainbows - they are similar to danios except: prettier, more interesting behavior, less spastic/hyper (but more timid at first), more peaceful with other fish, and more expensive. The males have nice displaying fins for the females. They stay around danio size, so you could do a nice little school in a 20g. And they also stick to the mid/top level of the tank like danios.

Jun 21, 2008
Glofish are still in if you're interested, my local Petco carries them. Also, randomly, so does my Wal Mart, and for a fraction of the cost. You be the judge of whether you want to get them there or not.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Def. get more corries, I'd suggest looking into different groups of fish to see what you're interested in, but some good choices would be a gourami and a group or two of smaller fish like platties or something, possibly Kribs or angels and again smaller filler fish, ummm... trying to walk through the chain stores in my head LOL... Cories kinda limit the big fish... might get away with a severum or two, at least if you get ones like mine, they're pretty peaceful, if not wussy LOL. That's about all I got right now, LOL, I'm kinda tired.

Jun 21, 2008
I don't think that you need to boo just because they're not getting the kind of fish that you like. Some people, me included, like community tanks with peaceful, schooling fish, not giant and/or mean fish, and I think that's ok. Furthermore, kribs, angels and severums ARE cichlids.

Also, for what it's worth, I like angels. I had angels in my 55 gallon community before and he/she did fine. I think I had either one or two at any given point in time.

Last edited:

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
Angels are really awesome. I got a pair and 1 I know is a deffinatly a female and the other i have know idea. Its really fun watching them hunt guppy fry.
Heres some comunity cichlid ideas
Festivums(orion got sum)
Sevs
Kribs
Keyholes
Curviceps i think
Kribs
and Yes Firemouths arnt to nasty in a community tank

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
Awesome, I'm not upset, just pointing out that giant fish aren't always the answer. But I'll try to use the ignoring policy from now on ;)
Congrats on your new tank, that's great. I have a new 55 gallon myself, and now I'm working on setting up a 46 gallon discus tank. It's so addicting. Have fun stocking!