• Cycle!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 100% Ammonia!

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Soooo, i have been using this product called cycle in my new 55 gallon tank that some of you might have seen already. Ammonia is still at 0 and checking for nitrite and nitrate i think would be a waste of time this soon seeing how it is only a few days old (approx Monday the 18th).

So my question is should i keep using "cycle" as the directions say or should i go with the whole buying 100% pure ammonia and start to cycle the tank myself.

!!!this tank is fish less!!!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Uh you do know that adding cycle doesn't "cycle" your tank right? It's supposed to help speed things along but doesn't actually do anything if there is no ammonia present. The results of if Cycle works or not is yet to be determined. IME if it does help it maybe cuts the cycle time down by a day or 2. Either way you are still looking at about a month until your tank is cycle. That's if you add ammonia. Going the way you are going...Well hell is going to freeze over first.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
HAHAHAHAHA, thank you

See in this case my stupid question, would of only been worse if i did not ask... well then obviously the answer is buy 100% ammonia and start to cycle the tank like that... i heard. 3-5 drops per 10 gallons?

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Or get a few fish!!

You already have the cycle product and need the amonia (fish waste) to get it going.

So why not purchase a few hardy/inexpensive fish and have them start producing the amonia for you? I would recommend a few Tiger Barbs; usually sold in groups of 4.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Not only do i like to save money but... i already accidentally put fish into an unicycled tank and just the way they act and move makes me feel bad lol...

From what i have read... i want to by 100% pure ammonia product, after i do that i want to find a dropper and as many drops as it takes to get 5ppm and record that number of drops. Then the next day add the same amount of drops checking the ammonia several hours later (possibly 1 hour later) If i see a slight drop in the ammonia level i will cut the number of drops in half... so saying that i put 16 drops in to obtain 5ppm then now i want to put 8 drops instead of the original 16.. at this point the nitrites should be rising and i want to continue adding this ammonia untill but of the two settle, the ammonia and the nitrite... when they both settle taking a reading of the nitrate levels is crucial as the levels should be rather high if 80ppm then 70%80% water change and if around 40ppm do about a 50% water change.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
yea I used a pack of barbs to cycle my tank, and 4/9 are currently making it, 2 look miserable though but I think that's cuz of the big bully. My RedTailShark has looked great since day 1 though

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Well i found ammonia but it has another chemical in it and it began with an S like it was ammonium hydroxide and sulficant or something...

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Fish less cycle! i am not going to torture fish... i messed up once already i feel this method is a lot better for my anxiety!

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
So heres what i found 10% ammonia! lol yeah i put 60 drops in my 55 gallon and i got it too 1ppm haha... this is after i waited i did not test right after! =P

Home depot = NOTHING no ammonia they use to carry it, not anymore though.
Shaws supermarket = i went too two of them and one had nothing and the other had Ammonia with additives..
Ace Hardware for the win = Had the 10% ammonia!

And btw... being as dumb as i am i sniffed it haha i don't know what went through my mind to be like ".... hey i wonder what ammonia smells like" YEAH NOT DOING THAT AGAIN.. Nostrils burned for about 5 minutes...

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
And btw... being as dumb as i am i sniffed it haha i don't know what went through my mind to be like ".... hey i wonder what ammonia smells like" YEAH NOT DOING THAT AGAIN.. Nostrils burned for about 5 minutes...
LMFAO..when I was in the Active Army we used to take the ammonia capsules out of the first aid kits and break them open and stick them under there nose when someone was napping or just when we had an oppurtunity to get someone.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
OMG HAHAH that is terrible when i sniffed it i wanted to cry... it was terrible experience, and your a bad man! lol

So like i said earlier in the post.... i read that i need to get the ammonia up high around 5ppm or something like that so my new question is Can i keep the ammonia at 1ppm until it starts to drop and have a successful cycle, personally i don't see why not as long as there is ammonia present?

this is a picture of my 55 gallon!

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Quick little update the Ammonia is at 2ppm now, it is up from 1ppm... this is now day two for those who are following my little cycle log =P

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The higher you take the ammonia the stronger your biological filter will be. the stronger your filter is the faster you can stock the tank. I personally don't see why you can't take it up to 7ppm. I know I've read that if you take it too high you will kill the bacteria so use caution. But definitely take it to at least 5ppm.