Is this too much?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok...may I suggest the API master test kit...its a bit pricy...but gives you a percise reading, unlike the dip sticks.

I would find a good flake food...and change it up. A change in diet is usually a good plan. Also think along the lines of some meat...some bloodworms would be good. Freezedried is fine.

For those guys surviving...that will probably be pretty rough. If you really stay on top of the cycle of the tank. You may be able to pull a few of them through...but its going to be alot of hard work.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
Ok...may I suggest the API master test kit...its a bit pricy...but gives you a percise reading, unlike the dip sticks.

I would find a good flake food...and change it up. A change in diet is usually a good plan. Also think along the lines of some meat...some bloodworms would be good. Freezedried is fine.

For those guys surviving...that will probably be pretty rough. If you really stay on top of the cycle of the tank. You may be able to pull a few of them through...but its going to be alot of hard work.
What would the best way to go around it be so?

20" x 9" x 12" would mean 9-10 gallons, right?

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, as the fish generally be..well, fish...they will start the cycle. Quick reference here: Poop = Ammonia = Nitrate = Nitrite = Cycled. Problem is...Ammonia and Nitrates are poison to fish. So, you have to keep the levels low, for the fish to survive. BUT! By keeping the levels low, you prolong the cycle by a ton. Therefor keeping the fish, in with the nasty fish killing stuff for a while.

Your best bet, would be to take the fish back to the store, cycle the tank..then get fish appropriate for the tank. Thats my suggestion.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
bio spira is the bottled of form the good bacteria that is normally produced in a tank during a cycle. It is supposed to help speed up the process. From what I have seen here it must be refrigerated at the store for it to be usefull.

No fish is IDEAL to cycle a tank..the chemicals that build up during the cycle process can be extremely deadly to fish, some fish survive the process others don't.

You might try to get some tank gravel from the LFS you purchased the tank from..this will also contain bacteria that you need.

Dazza81

Small Fish
Aug 25, 2008
Malta
bio spira is the bottled of form the good bacteria that is normally produced in a tank during a cycle. It is supposed to help speed up the process. From what I have seen here it must be refrigerated at the store for it to be usefull.

No fish is IDEAL to cycle a tank..the chemicals that build up during the cycle process can be extremely deadly to fish, some fish survive the process others don't.

You might try to get some tank gravel from the LFS you purchased the tank from..this will also contain bacteria that you need.
Ok thanks, I'll look into that. Its 7:20AM here, I'm off to get an hour of sleep... spent all night trying to find some kind of solution :rolleyes:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have read that Prime is not good when cycling because it removes the ammonia, therefore removing the food source for the bacteria, where amquel and ammoloc makes it harmless but it is still there to provide "food" for the bacteria.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
lol. Well, if you think of chemistry... you can't just get rid of ammonia... the nitrogen and hydrogen will still be there. If you just add something that'll react safely to "get rid" of chlorine and chloramines (not sure what chemistry goes on there), I'm sure you can safely add that extra little hydrogen atom to make ammonia into ammonium.

I used Prime when I was cycling my tank with fish, and my cycle still went on without a hitch.