Water source

Johnny-J5

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2008
Connecticut
Complete Newb question:

Where do you guys get your non-chlorinated water from? I live in a city where they chlorinate the tap water.

Do i have to go buy filtered water? Im planning on starting a 40 gallon tank, do i really need to get 8 5gallon poland spring water containers?

Also a question about water changes. How do you change water without upsetting the balence of ammonia eating bacteria? I assume when you remove a certain amount of water (i guess enough to balence out the nitrate levels), part of the bacteria colonies goes down the drain with it. Do i need to constantly do a waterless cycle (in a seperate tank) in order to maintain that balence of nh4->no2- bacteria and no2- -> no3- bacteria??

Thanks in advance

Good that you asked because chlorinated water can cause some serious problems!!
There are a lot of products that you can add to your tap water to dechlorinate it. Right now I'm using StressCoat from API. But there's plenty of others; I think the one I had before was AquaSafe. You can also use RO water (reverse osmosis). I use a combination of both dechlorinated tap and RO water.

As for the water changes, just don't scrub off all the walls and decor/plants with chlorinated water. As long as you keep those submerged most of the time, except the glass walls of course cuz you can't, you'll be fine.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Also a question about water changes. How do you change water without upsetting the balence of ammonia eating bacteria? I assume when you remove a certain amount of water (i guess enough to balence out the nitrate levels), part of the bacteria colonies goes down the drain with it. Do i need to constantly do a waterless cycle (in a seperate tank) in order to maintain that balence of nh4->no2- bacteria and no2- -> no3- bacteria??
Just to be a little more specific, you probably don't want to do much in the way of water changes when you're cycling without fish. If you do, you'll also be removing the ammonia and nitrate that serve as food for the bacterial colonies you're trying cultivate. Once the tank is cycled, you need to perform water changes to maintain the water quality for the fish. You won't be affecting the nitrifying bacteria, as they live primarily on the tank surfaces and not in the water (i.e. you won't be removing them).

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Start Right is an excellent tap water conditioner. For water top-offs I usually use RO water and then when I do water changes I usually use tap water, mainly just because the python is already hooked up. Just add your conditioner while your tank is filling and you should be fine.

Johnny-J5

Small Fish
Aug 26, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Now i just gotta see what my lfs (petco) has to offer. Is there anything else i need to add in addition to "Prime" to properly condition my water for changes?

If not avail locally, can any of you guys recommend a good online store as an alternative?