Air pumps and air stones

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I did a little research after some comments I read in this forum, I think. It seems air pumps and stones do next to nothing to increase oxygen levels in the water.

I got one because the water temp once reached 85 degrees F. in my tank and I know these Bluegill critters live in somewhat colder water. It is a fact that there is less dissolved oxygen in warmer water than in cooler water.

It seems that the factors that affect oxygen levels in the water are surface area, air movement over the water (as opposed to tight fitting tops) and water movement by filter pumps.

Once in a while I see a fish hanging out in the bubble sheet, but not too often.
So, should I leave the pump and bubbles going?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
O2 levels are affected by surface agitation. Anything that breaks the surface of the water will help gas exchange. Air pumps just aren't that efficient at it. Most HOB filters are good at this, as are canister filters to a point. For most fish the agitation caused by the filter is good enough to keep the O2 levels at a satisfactory point.

If you want to reduce the temp of the water, you can set a fan up to blow across the top of the water. This will reduce the temp by evaporation. Most native fish though are used to swings from living in a temperate climate, so as long as it doesn't stay that high for too long I don't think it should be a huge problem.

Keeping the air pump going isn't going to hurt anything though.

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Once in a while I see a fish hanging out in the bubble sheet, but not too often.
So, should I leave the pump and bubbles going?
I'd leave it if you like it. It's more for aesthetics than anything else. I've got bubbles in every tank. My Oscar LOVES the bubbles...he's always swimming in and sits in the bubbles...till they float him out...then turns around to swim thru again...like it's his own personal jacuzzi!!! *twirlysmi

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
yeah im sure the bubbles for the fish feel good, or any kind of sleight pressure for that matter. my fish will hang out where the filter pours out the water lots... MAYBE I should get them an air stone, lol

Striker2807

Medium Fish
May 8, 2006
Tennessee
Yea I always used to worry about not having an air stone or anything like that, but from what everyone here has told me they aren't really needed a HOB filter will do just fine providing the O2 your fish need.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
And I was wondering why my awesome kit didnt come with a air bubbles thingy until I read here that they doi noghting much at all except provide some fish entertainment...

Remember in Finding Nemoi...the fish that loved the bubbles....

Yea that was cool.

I think I might do bubbles just for fun to see if it entertains a fish or two (like unwritten's barb)which of course would thoroughly entertain me.

Aug 4, 2008
Completely off topic. But I have one of those bubble scuba men in my tank. I never hooked him up because the air wouldn't flow though him. But I kept the log black tube that was attached to him.. attached to him. (So picture this orange scuba man in the bottom of my tank with a 1 foot lead of air tube stretching towards the surface.

Well, I've been finding some of the fish like to "bump/scratch" into the black air tube. (much like you'd see a cat rub against a chair leg..) It's the darnest thing. They swim up to it slowly and head on, they **** their head and with a sharp burst, run into the tube with the side of there body. :D

So far, I've caught the tiger barbs, and one other fish doing this. Its fun to watch!