I've been forced into the tank

Sep 1, 2008
Hello guys and gals!

My mother inlaw bought a tank from a friend to help get rid of the fish. Now I took charge to make sure everything goes smooth. There are problems though. The 29g tank has 1 6 inch Koi, 2 5 inch goldfish, 3 2.5 inch gold fish and 2 2 inch Pecos. They're not from this country and language is an issue, my wife translates(also the fact that a female is telling how to do something doesn't help). They say the river and lakes have more fish than the tank so the dirty ammonia filled water is coming from the house, cause there's less fish in the tank then lakes and rivers. I'm trying to get rid of some of the fish and they're fighting me on it. They still want a clean tank but I had no place or time to cycle cause the fish just showed up in the living room.

So now I change 10 gallons everyday using a vacuum. The ammonia is around 3-4. I have yet to buy the whole test kit(I'm broke for now)

Any suggestions are needed and appreciated.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Well, I was being somewhat flippant. But, it seems like you do understand the basic problem: there are flat out too many fish for that tank. You can put two goldfish in there and that's it. Even using stuff like Ammo-lock is only going to hide the problem, not really take care of it. I think your only option is to get rid of ~5 of those fish, unless you can get a bigger tank.

(I wasn't being flippant about welcoming you! It's always nice to have new people around! :))

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
It's a little cluttered for a tank that has yet to cycle. I dont know if bio-spira/ safe start is an option right now. Ive never used it to quickly cycle a tank and am not even sure if its safe with fish already present.

Jun 21, 2008
BioSpira and SafeStart are actually designed to be used with fish, as it needs the waste from them for the bacteria to feed on. It can't hurt, although I think to keep the fish healthy you are going to have to get rid of some of them. I don't envy you having to deal with this tank. Good luck.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
BioSpira and SafeStart are actually designed to be used with fish, as it needs the waste from them for the bacteria to feed on. It can't hurt, although I think to keep the fish healthy you are going to have to get rid of some of them. I don't envy you having to deal with this tank. Good luck.
thats true, good call

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks guys. All the info I got is from this site within the last few days. I've decide that some of them are going to "die". And be "reborn" at the pet store as I pick up some Safestart or BioSpira.

I like the Pecos and will hold them till they get bigger and/or I get my own tank. I'm planning on a 55 planted. I'm going to run the tank with just plants till I get the hang of the greenery.

Will the pet store take a fish with no tail? The Koi ate it most likely.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Ok so your not cycled..find a LFS that will take the fish..tell the wife and in laws they died due to poor conditions in a cycling tank. Thats the best option I can come up with...the fact is they may die for real if you dont make some changes quick.

If they tell you the rivers and lakes theory..give them a quick lesson on Ecology and explain that in nature "Carrying capacity" is what dictates what survives where.

Any way WELCOME TO THE TANK...hopefully this incident wont deter you from this hobby
it is a wonderful and addicting hobby when you can enjoy it.

LOL..looks like we were posting at the same time

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I was at petco early this week and they didnt have bio spira... I dont know if they carry it or not... maybe the tetra band... they told me to go to the smaller local store. I heard it was hard to find

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I was at petco early this week and they didnt have bio spira... I dont know if they carry it or not... maybe the tetra band... they told me to go to the smaller local store. I heard it was hard to find
I found numerous sites saying Biospira is no longer marketed by the same company...appearantly it was made by marineland...but that company is still selling the SW brand but Tetra is the one selling the FW under the name start right and you do not have to refrigerate it... Google Biospria and you will find it.
Ohhh...and marineland is a division of Tetra.

Jun 21, 2008
My LFS still carries both the refrigerated BioSpira, (although it may only be the marine brand, I haven't checked in a while), and the new SafeStart. I haven't used the SafeStart, but I have only seen it at the LFS, not at Petco, so it may be worth a couple phone calls before you drive all over town. Yeah, the river theory is interesting, but in a river you don't have 30" of high waste producing fish in 30 gallons of water that is self contained, I know you know that, but it would be nice if they could understand that. I hope you get things figured out.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Welcome to the site!

And ditch the fish...if you can. There is no way you can keep up 10g wc every single day! I'd even go insane. :) Most fish stores will take them to be "adopted."
Actually, when my 20 was cycling I was doing a 5 gallon change every day for two weeks. Besides using the de-chlor chems not really a big deal, I thought. But 30 inches of Goldfish in a 30 gallon tank is a bit much.