when and how to change filter?

VicVegas84

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2008
Its time to change my filter cartridge and carbon. I am worried about the loss of bacteria in the tank. How do I offset this?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
seems too soon dont you think? lol I wouldn't even think about it till 6 months or so, but I haven't researched this ever. I have heard about rinsing your filter tray to keep it from clogging but not replacing it. Yes you do not want to lose your bacteria that is stored in that filter

What kind of filter do you have?
Different filters need to be changed differently, and some have ways to avoid bacteria loss.
Getting your filter type will help answer your question.
Regarding bacteria...
You've got bacteria all through your tank. Plants, substrate, sunken ships, bubbling treasure chests, heaters, everything. The filter is where most of the bacteria lives though, so you are right to be concerned about its viability.
The good news is that you wont completely remove your bacteria just by changing out filter media.

Post your kind of filter and we can help you out better.

Jonathan

Mercury

Large Fish
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
Jedi's right. Bacteria is all over your tank. It'll reoccupy your filter pretty quickly. But there are filters that have special parts. Biowheels store bacteria in a wheel that does not need to be replaced. Some like aquaclear actually have a bag of pellet-things that bacteria thrive in, and can be left without replacing. If you are that concerned, or don't have these features, you can use two cartridges and change one at a time, so you always have a bacteria-ized one.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I rinse mine every couple weeks then change it when rinsing stops working and I notice a difference in the water flow out of the filter...don't know if it's the right or wrong way but thats what i do and will keep doing

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I continue to reuse my filters till they begin to fall apart. When they are dirty I rinse them under warm water and put them back in the tank. When it comes time to change my filters I put the new one in the tank with an old one. On filter systems that have two spots for a filter I will pull one and leave an old one. Otherwise I put the new one in front of the old one. :D Hope that wasnt too confusing.

Striker2807

Medium Fish
May 8, 2006
Tennessee
Jedi's right. Bacteria is all over your tank. It'll reoccupy your filter pretty quickly. But there are filters that have special parts. Biowheels store bacteria in a wheel that does not need to be replaced. Some like aquaclear actually have a bag of pellet-things that bacteria thrive in, and can be left without replacing. If you are that concerned, or don't have these features, you can use two cartridges and change one at a time, so you always have a bacteria-ized one.
This is great to know about the Bio Wheel! I have one and have always worried when changing my filter, which I do every month, about the bacterial loss. I am assuming your still losing some beneficial bacteria, but since there is some that still remain on the bio wheel this isn't to big of a deal and it is probably quickly replaced. Do I have it right?

I continue to reuse my filters till they begin to fall apart. When they are dirty I rinse them under warm water and put them back in the tank.
Doesn't the chlorine in the water kill any beneficial bacteria? I have read that if you need to rinse anything do it in tank water.

Let me quote something from this article:

Cycling is a process where the bacteria break down ammonia which is a very harmful toxin into Nitrate. Nitrate is however another even more harmful substance. The Nitrate is broken down into Nitrite which is a relatively harmless substance even though it might have harmful affects in high doses.

Am I the only one that see something wrong here? I think he needs go back and review the Nitrogen Cycle.*crazysmil

Ammonia is broken down in to Nitrite, then into Nitrate. Yes Nitrates can be toxic in high levels, but if weekly water changes are done they usually don't pose a problem to your fish.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I continue to reuse my filters till they begin to fall apart. When they are dirty I rinse them under warm water and put them back in the tank. When it comes time to change my filters I put the new one in the tank with an old one. On filter systems that have two spots for a filter I will pull one and leave an old one. Otherwise I put the new one in front of the old one. :D Hope that wasnt too confusing.
I have heard that chlorine and high temps can kill the bac, but I honestly doubt even if it did it would cause a noticable problem, I dont do anything special when I change mine, I pull it out and stick a new one in and I havent had any issues.

When I rinse I do it when I do a water change and use old tank water.