GRRRR I think I'm near Capacity

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Want: Make my tiger barb shoal larger (shrinks aggression increases group activity)
Problem1: Not sure how close/over capacity I am
Problem2: Haven't found a good deal for a new tank yet.

20 Gallon long
1- 2.5 inch red tail shark
1- 2 inch clown loach
1- 2 inch albino tinfoil barb
5- 1 to 1.5 inch tiger barbs

okay we all know the loach has 8'' potential
the Redtail has 6-7'' potential

the albino tinfoil???

At this age and point in their lifetime, can I add 2-3 more tigers? How bad will this hurt the bioload and I am currently doing a 30% water change weekly will this need to change?

Sep 3, 2008
20 Gallon long
1- 2 inch clown loach

okay we all know the loach has 8'' potential
Well, sorry you have been miss led but the loach actually has a 2foot potential! I know... pissing me off too. I have a 56G tank and people still tell me it is to small for those beautiful loaches... but its the truth... *crazysmil

The shark will probably be fine. I had 2 in a 10G for about 2 years when I was a kid and they did fine. Hid a lot...but fine.

I would say 2 more tigers wouldn't hurt but you should prob get rid of that clown loach first. *BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS I know its not going to happen but that is just what everyone is going to say. Just keep looking for a bigger tank. Check Craigslist.com

Jun 21, 2008
I have read that clowns tend to get to 4" pretty fast, and after that their growth slows down considerably, they also seem to not reach their 18"ish potential very often, and more often top out at 6"-8". So you may be fine for a while. I've also read that they do best in a minimum group size of 3. This is an issue to balance between their potential size and their affinity for groups. If you're willing to upgrade later, that's one thing, and if not, that's another. Good luck with your barbs.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Mike EP, after doing more research, you are right. Clown Loaches can get huge, esp if given the optimal conditions, over a foot in length, and quite fat too. I'm going to have to say if I want to keep this loach as he progresses I will have to throw more money in my fish fund for a 75G +, because I really want 3-4 loaches just because, thought I have to say, they look like a bunch of fat sloths when theyre full grown!

Sep 3, 2008
jo3olous, Keep me informed on how quickly they grow. I have been trying to figure that out forever. I think they are on of the sweetest bottom fish ever. If I get my 56g all pretty and planted then I will start a 75-120g and want to move the loaches there.

When I said 2feet it was a bit of an exaggeration. Though it happens, its rare. Just felt like giving you a hard time *DRUMMER* *BOUNCINGS *DRUMMER*

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Only one clownie? They like to have lots of friends...I've got 3 together...and they totally love each other...always tumbling over each other and cuddling!

This is a good site...with lots of info and pics...
Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) — Loaches Online
yeah i know i want more, but i don't think it'll work out with the tank i have right now. Gonna have to wait till I get the larger tank ready. So far, the clown hasnt shown any signs of loneliness (excessive hiding). He schools with the barbs a lot~

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
yeah i know i want more, but i don't think it'll work out with the tank i have right now. Gonna have to wait till I get the larger tank ready.
Yeah, they'll definitely be fine in the 55G...did ya check Craigslist?

So far, the clown hasnt shown any signs of loneliness (excessive hiding). He schools with the barbs a lot~
Mine used to do that too...they'd all swim with the tiger barbs...like they thought since they all looked so similar they'd all swim together...LOL!

My biggest clownie sleeps on his side all the time...on rocks, on the gravel, in the shipwreck...sometimes even on another clown...plays dead...it's pretty funny!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
'Alykat' - lol I know I've read so much about the loaches, they are hilarious. Their odd behavior and habits make them so loveable I feel so bad for not putting him in a school of loaches right now. I could buy a 55G right now if I wanted, problem is i'm looking for a Long tank (not high) so the loaches have more surface to cover. Also, some people are telling me if I want to have 3+ loaches I should consider a 75G+++ because they do get rather large, I mean if a household loach could hit 10'' +++ well, a 55G high wouldn't be too fit for 3 of them, they would be able to line up to the length of the tank lol