A newb with a tank - watchout!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
When I say a grand I do include in that:

An acrylic tank (kids...)

Fish, scenery, all that in stuff tank jazz and food and treats etc etc

and..

A nice piece of furniture or my wife will hate the whole thing.

It would be nice to go shopping with one of you fine folk...

I know this much.... and feel free to try to persuade me... I want a big ole bio wheel on my next tank.

I like the lower bio load idea in the big tank but as we know I like to see some fish! Not just a couple. So I think I will be keeping to small to medium (errrr let me say 1-6 inch fish) and NO GOLD FISH or other big boi load swimmies.

And I want a cray fish.

And an african frog thingy that lives under water except for the occassional air gulp at the top.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
you could go with fish that dont require much hiding spots... im just not sure what fish those would apply to

I like the hiders.

Its more special to catch them doing something.

My rainbow shark is a hider. Fun to watch when he is about or just even poking out his head but mostly he stays in his cave.

No need to spend that much!!!

I just got a BRAND NEW 55g with a black stand and lights and hoods and gravel and the soon-to-come filter (with biowheels) for under $300!!!

Now, if I had #1,000 to spend...think of the possibilities!

And I'd recommend glass not acrylic, acrylic gets scratched really easily and I think of it as more unstable than glass, even with kids.

BTW, here's a the pump I want to get. Penguin 350B Power Filter Up to 75 gallon tank

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
And I'd recommend glass not acrylic, acrylic gets scratched really easily and I think of it as more unstable than glass, even with kids.

BTW, here's a the pump I want to get. Penguin 350B Power Filter Up to 75 gallon tank
Looks like you are right. I can do this for well under a grand. Cool. I need a plow attachement and a riding mower. This town we just moved into expects ME to keep the sidewalk clear of snow and there is a heck of alot of sidewalk here.

I LOVE that filter.... I'm gonna save that link and maybe put that same kinda onbe in my corner tank.

Aug 4, 2008
Word of warning on the crayfish. While really neat fish. They do like to sabatoge your fish.

I learned.. Anything with pinchers will use 'em. Woke up one morning to find several fish had tears in there fins. Upon further research, I was lucky the little guy didn't EAT any of my fish.. :O

After all is said and done, and you still want crayfish.. Get the 3g back up and keep some in there. Otherwise, with the amount of fish you plan to keep, you will have one fat bellied cray.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...questions/53623-blue-cray-gets-locked-up.html

I like those filters too. The wheel is fun. Almost every Fish Store stocks those.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can spend a grand for an entirely new tank set up. But ya'd be hard pressed. (Although, friend just spend $600 on a "tv stand" (ie, table) Depending on the quality of table/stand you get.... You may very well hit 1K.)

Ya, shovel some snow, go to the fish store. Spend some money. Report back with all your new stuff!! :D

Oh, have you posted a picture of your 15 fish in a 3gallon tank? Get ta post'in.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Pictures.... GREAT idea....

Gimme some time to hit photobucket and snap some pics....

Wait till you guys see Rana. He is the best looking Betta ever!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I learned.. Anything with pinchers will use 'em. Woke up one morning to find several fish had tears in there fins. Upon further research, I was lucky the little guy didn't EAT any of my fish.. :O

Interesting. SOmeone else said one started climbing to get a better shot at the fish.

Are there any less agressive teenie tiny ones that are safer?

No way am I doing a tank just for crayfish. I';ll just skip the idea if its gonna mean blood.

If I need some crayfish....I'll have to settle for Red Lobster!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Don't have time to read all the posts on this thread, but I stand by my original assertion that your tank is massively overstocked. Upping the filtration will not help with the bioload in there and that is your main problem. You need a bigger tank ASAP. I would not start adding salt to your tank, corycats do not do well with it and it is entirely not necessary. For all those on here bashing the gallon/inch rule, please please keep in mind that this is the newbie forum. Sure, if you know what you're doing you can push it and get a feel for what will work and what won't, but for a newbie, this is very confusing and putting it in simple terms is very helpful. Keep your inch/gallon bashing for another forum.

Only solution - bigger tank. Check my signature for cycling instructions, you can problably "seed" it from your smaller tank and cut your time in half.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Only solution - bigger tank. Check my signature for cycling instructions, you can problably "seed" it from your smaller tank and cut your time in half.

I do need a bigger tank and man o man had I known more about fish before this started the population would be totally dif.

I like the sound of mollies and platys....

The corys are awesome... I really enjoy them.

The thing is is... one tank just doesn;t cut it and I think thats what I THOUGHT I could do.

ALso...I was just at my LFS..big boix type.. ALL the pictures of aqwuarioums for sale showed Densly populated tanks and I was a bit shocked with the 1 inch/gallon rule.

I do agree it to be a good starting point until one understands the bio-load....something I knew nothing about. A newb like me also has to get a handle on feeding quantities.... The tank has been much easier to manage with the reduced feedings.

Sadly...my pleco will have to go as it seems he will not fit my long range plans.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Interesting. SOmeone else said one started climbing to get a better shot at the fish.

Are there any less agressive teenie tiny ones that are safer?

No way am I doing a tank just for crayfish. I';ll just skip the idea if its gonna mean blood.

If I need some crayfish....I'll have to settle for Red Lobster!
You can get dwarf crayfish, but you would have to keep your stocking to small peaceful fish. They stay small (2") and are peaceful. There are brown dwarf cajun crays, or there are dwarf orange crays, that are a really bright orange but they are more expensive. I would definitely recommend the dwarf crays though, especially since you have kids. They are really neat to watch.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
You can get dwarf crayfish, but you would have to keep your stocking to small peaceful fish. They stay small (2") and are peaceful. There are brown dwarf cajun crays, or there are dwarf orange crays, that are a really bright orange but they are more expensive. I would definitely recommend the dwarf crays though, especially since you have kids. They are really neat to watch.

I'm saving this info. Thanks alot!!!

Are you expecting (info in your sig...)

Is it your first?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
LOL, yep and it is my first one :)

And in case I haven't tempted you enough, check these guys out. I've only got a pair and am waiting for them to start breeding. There are more pics on the other pages.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/other-aquatic-creatures/52475-my-new-crays.html

LOVE the crays... I have to have some!

Watching teh fish is wayyy better than TV.

Congrats on the baby.

I was there for birth of all my kids. It is incredible.

PARTICULARLY when the put the new born on my wife's chest and seeing her see the person that has been inside all those months. I cried everytime.

Wicked cool how when they hear your voice (momma's) that they try to find you even just moments after birth.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
If you like crays, you may like Macro Shrimp. Pretty similar, just a little smaller. I had some Red Claw Macros which were awesome. Lost them this summer due to heat though.
Wouldnt they be micro shrimp?

BTW... my tank is smelling way less foul. And the water is really benefiting from the water exchanges.

Im going to Petco today for some water test kits...

THis ought to be interesting.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
LOVE the crays... I have to have some!

Watching teh fish is wayyy better than TV.

Congrats on the baby.

I was there for birth of all my kids. It is incredible.

PARTICULARLY when the put the new born on my wife's chest and seeing her see the person that has been inside all those months. I cried everytime.

Wicked cool how when they hear your voice (momma's) that they try to find you even just moments after birth.
Thanks, that's what I am looking forward to. I don't think anyone would get pregnant if they didn't have to!

Sep 11, 2008
Miami
I heard a very cruel joke today at college. Somebody was talking about a quiz that the class took. they said "It was so easy, it was like shooting fish in a barell."

Who are these people? Make me sick?

That's like making a holocaust joke or something. All fish ever did to us is provide great companionship and tasty meals.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Justm got back from the fish store I found online.

Not that far from muy house and it is a hard core fish place.

HARD CORE - warehouse place..concrete..hoses tubes, like 100 tanks and the dude I talked to knew everything.

ANYWAYs... found a nice 75 gallon unit