A newb with a tank - watchout!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Thanks, that's what I am looking forward to. I don't think anyone would get pregnant if they didn't have to!
No doubt.... my wife is done with that process...She was even pregnant in JULY once. I think she still hates for the timing on that one.

Are you or did you find out the sex?

We always found out...makes getting ready wayyy easier.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
No doubt.... my wife is done with that process...She was even pregnant in JULY once. I think she still hates for the timing on that one.

Are you or did you find out the sex?

We always found out...makes getting ready wayyy easier.
Nope, we aren't going to find out. I want that extra oomph in the delivery room :)

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Water Test Results...

THis is the strip kind... (its all they had )

Nitrates 20ppm

Nitrites 0.5

Hardness 120

Total alkalinity 100

Ph 6.8

So is this good or bad?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
You still need to be able to test the ammonia. Your tank isn't done cycling, but then again small tanks like that rarely ever stay cycled. One good gravel vac can cause an ammonia spike.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
You still need to be able to test the ammonia. Your tank isn't done cycling, but then again small tanks like that rarely ever stay cycled. One good gravel vac can cause an ammonia spike.

Argh...

The tank I have is too small for what I want to do.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Im glad you mentioned the ammonia spike.

I JUST bought a gravel vac so I think I better get some of that ammonia lock stuff to negate what could be a fish killing situation.

MFT rocks. Thanks Pure.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I better get an ammonia tester too.

I just exchanged some water.

PH rose a bit to 7.0.

Not much else changed

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Don;t be too surprised.

I have learned I was totally unprepared for the proper care of these lovely creatures.

But I am learning.

I just did a gravel vac. Now keep in mind that I recently did a 100 % water change (bad idea) but the amount of junk that started flowing up the tube was...well.. alot.

ALSO... my tank is overdecorated.... I could not get to alot of the gravel so that has to change too.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, you might want to permenantly remove that big rock thing. That could give you some extra room too.
BUt my pleco likes to hang out underneath it when he is resting.

And Rana like to swim around it...

And the wishies when they are al hyper go racing over it like a hill.

But....... welll... I need more space.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Tested again today

Nitrates at 20

Nitrites at .25

Hardness at 100

Alkalinity at 100

pH at 6.9

SO this tank is stil not fully cycled. and the pH drops inbetween water exchanges.

I am SOOO ticked at the pet stores and the advertiser pictures for showing tanks full of fish and emplyees giving horrible advice.

excuse me while I do my DAILY water exchanges.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
OK so i took out the big rock structure for more swimming space and more water volume to aid in getting the water where it nbeeds to be.

Also.... gravel vac rocks...

Python makes water exchanges wayy easier.

I hope my tweaking the tank so much dopesnt cause any casualties.

People should really read alot before having fish.

It is not just fill tank with water and dump in whatever fish you think look cool.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Tal, do you have an ammonia test strip? Really the ones that are important are Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate strips, and maybe PH. Have you taken the time to read the info on my website listed below? You might find the basic info helpful.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Yay! It finally got through to you! That's why I was a little rude at the beginning. :eek: I'm so happy you got the point now though...:p Spread the word!! :D

When I said I knew nothing about it when my wife brought home the tank and fish I meant it!!!

I have been on a crash course.

Didn;t mean to make anyone mad.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Back in this thread somewhere the issue of price was brought up.

I just set up a 100 gallon unit (60" long, 24" tall, 16" wide) that I bought for $159. Add two AC110's at $70 each and now I'm up to $230. The gravel was free, just labor to wash it. I can buy a light at Home depot and fab a cover to hang it, $30. I'm lucky because I did not need to buy a stand; I have a natural place in my house for the tank, but if you're even a little bit handy you could buy two 8' 4x4's and a few 2x4's and make your own. Just wrap it with some fabric.

All in all this 100 cost me under $300 to set up, and not only is it massive, it looks great.