airstone question

teevee

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2008
mesa, az
www.myspace.com
I LOVE my airstone! It looks great in the tank and the fish love it... but I read somewhere once there was something you could do to the stone itsellf to make more bubbles come out... Does anyone know what that is? I swear I remember something about poking it with a needle or something?

Aug 4, 2008
Scotty, We need more BUBBLES!!!!

(Sorry no help.) I guess additional or larger air stones are out of the question? I had two 10" bubble strips. Tank had lots of bubbles. My poor air pump didn't have enough umph to do both bubble stripps AND the orange diver man.

teevee

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2008
mesa, az
www.myspace.com
I love how relaxing the bubbles look and the fish really seem to like swimming in them. I imagine I would too! LOL

I will likely buy a couple more stones... I tried one of those valve things so you could attach a few to one pump but it didn't work worth a damn! LOL

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Try an air bar, but stay away from the 99 cent ones. I have one that is ceramic stone in a plastic base. Works good.

A couple of my fish actually hang out in the bubble curtain. I've heard that bubbles inside of gills is bad, but I guess the fish don't know it.

Not all of them, only one or two, really like it.

Aug 4, 2008
Not any noisier than the HOB "waterfall" You can buy quite air pumps.

The valve contraption probably didn't work well because your air pump does not pump enough pressure to run multiple air hoses. (Mine could not run two bubble strips AND the diver guy.) Bigger air pump or a second air pump may be necessary. :(

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Not any noisier than the HOB "waterfall" You can buy quite air pumps.

The valve contraption probably didn't work well because your air pump does not pump enough pressure to run multiple air hoses. (Mine could not run two bubble strips AND the diver guy.) Bigger air pump or a second air pump may be necessary. :(
my HOB filter is silent, but that is because my tank is completely full, so there is essentially no splash

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
my HOB filter is silent, but that is because my tank is completely full, so there is essentially no splash
pretty much the same here. I do have one for those cheap bubble walls that my fish love and the pump for it is the only thing that makes noise within my setup. The motor in the pump vibrates and you can't really help it. Its not too bad tho and you eventually just don't even notice it.

Sometimes the pores in the stone get clogged up over time. Poking them with a needle with clean them out some.
If you have a relatively new stone and still want more bubbles then you'll need to do something else.
You could get a bubble bar like suggested above, and/or you could get an airline splitter and run two or more stones off of the one air pump.

Jun 21, 2008
Rayneuki - This may be something you've already looked into, but with a towel wrapped around something electronic with a motor I would be concerned about it getting too hot. You may want to check on it periodically.
Also, it sounds silly, but when I was running airstones it seemed to make a great deal of difference how far the stone was pressed down onto the tubing. You could try fiddling with that. I kind of miss having bubbles, maybe I'll put some in at some point.