A newb with a tank - watchout!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
OK I brought home a 38 gallon tank and stand and well..everything!

Setting up today !!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Justm got back from the fish store I found online.

Not that far from muy house and it is a hard core fish place.

HARD CORE - warehouse place..concrete..hoses tubes, like 100 tanks and the dude I talked to knew everything.

ANYWAYs... found a nice 75 gallon unit
Confused, I thought you were going to buy this; however the 38G is a very nice upgrade hf with that *celebrate

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I would still get rid of the pleco though, once they get bigger they become really lazy and don't do much more than poop. So it will only cause problems for your tank. If you really want a plec, a bristlenose plec would be perfect for the 38 gallon.

Some stocking suggestions:
Keep the betta in the 3 gallon by himself. Move the tetras, swordtail, cory's and glowfish to the 38 gallon. Get some more cory cats, and maybe some more glowfish or swordtails, whichever you like better. The Rainbow shark can go into the 75 gallon, and you can pick other fish that will work with it. Just make sure the 38 gallon is fully cycled before you move everyone.

If you really want to keep the swordtail fry, you can get a breeder net for the 38 gallon, or you can move the betta into the 38 and give the fry the 3 gallon.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
M0sborne you post way too fast, I just finished searching his thread in the bottomfeeder section lol cause I know he posted there. You are right it is indeed a common, which sux o_0 Oh well I think he returned it a while ago anyway

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I stil have the Pleco but do have a place that has said they will take it. The guy at the awesome LFS said that pleco would be hard on even the 75 gallon tank but he had people with 300,500,1000 and larger tanks that could use support it.

I am not allowed to set up the 75 right now so it'll be just the 3 and 38 for a while. So no OD. The 3g wont take that much work if the bio-load is appropriate. A water change on that one takes mere mintues.

My efforts will be more on the 38 and the 3g will eventually be only a fry tank or medical tank or some ancilliary type of tank. Its really too small to be more than that or an introduction into fish keeping - which is something I had wanted to do for a long time.

The glofish is a pain! ANd I don;t like supporting genetic engineering so I wont get more of those. I love the tetras so I will get their schol up to 10 or 15. The cories might get another or maybe 2 for their squad because apparently they like to schol a bit too. Petco says groups of 3 or more.

The swordtails are growing on me for obvious reasons!!

I like black mollys. I am not into any really big fish so I am carefully checking full grown size before buying anything.

My wife said she like a Koi. But then I read how they grow to 30 inches and we both said....noooooo wayyyyyy.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
And Koi are coldwater fish so they can't be mixed with tropicals. Definitely get rid of the pleco. If you like the swordtails, get two more that way you have 2f/1m. Get 4 more cory cats, they feel more comfortable in a group of 6+ and then they will be more active. Then, you can add to your school of tetras. And if you don't like the glofish, see if you can give that back too. They really need groups of 6+ and you already have enough schooling fish in your tank.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
My wife said she like a Koi. But then I read how they grow to 30 inches and we both said....noooooo wayyyyyy.
Yes, no Koi please. I think they count as coldwater fish too, since they are part of the goldfish family. But I'm not pro with gold fish....

If you keep your tanks well understocked, maintainence should only be occassional. The 38G should be A LOT LESS work, as long as you don't buy 3492348248 fish for it like you did the 3G. I'd say keep it well understocked and you may only need water changes bi-weekly. Close in on the bio-load and of course you will go back to weekly water changes and running tests.

I personally have not tested my water since I started my cycle. I rely more on how my fish look and act to determine if the water is good or bad. Of course if a fish dies I will quickly whip out the test kit and such~

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
And Koi are coldwater fish so they can't be mixed with tropicals. Definitely get rid of the pleco. If you like the swordtails, get two more that way you have 2f/1m. Get 4 more cory cats, they feel more comfortable in a group of 6+ and then they will be more active. Then, you can add to your school of tetras. And if you don't like the glofish, see if you can give that back too. They really need groups of 6+ and you already have enough schooling fish in your tank.
If you really like the pleco, I'd keep it in prep for your 75G tank. There's nothing wrong with temp housing it in the 38G, at least until it hits 12'', although the bioload is outlandish~

Last edited:

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I'd say keep it well understocked and you may only need water changes bi-weekly.
I have my 40 gallon (and 100 too) very understocked and I do a 25% water change weekly. Nitrites and ammonia at zero, Nitrates at 5 ppm. Aquarium water does not get much better. Keeps the fish strong and happy, and diseases away. I like it a lot. And, I have a lot of room in case I can nab another fish...

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
The end of a thread...

The end of a thread is now.

I started this thread many weeks ago when I found this wonderful website and knew I needed professional help (for my fish tank issues).

Well...today something happened that ends my "newbie" thread.

My water in my 3g tank tested as no ammonia and no nitrites.

I understood what theat meant and why it is important.

I also know that with a tank of this size I am one good vacuuming away from an ammonia spike and what that can do.

I want to thank each and every one of you who took the time from their lives to answer questions. I thank you and the fish thank you.

I look forward to conversing with you in my 38g tank thread and in other fun threads on the forum.

Happy bacteria keeping !!!!

*celebrate *BOUNCINGS :)*DRUMMER* *thumbsups *SUNSMILE**twirlysmi*PEACE!*