Crawfish question

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I put a Crawfish in my big tank. I think he'll survive because he is pretty good sized and can pinch real hard, the fish are well fed and there is a good place for it to hide out (a clay flower pot, on its side)

Someone once told me they need a place to go to be able to climb out of the water, at least partially.

I know how they climb and roam at night. I have a good fitting top so it can't climb out. I've had them before but gave them away because I had some small bottom dwellers in there with it. Now I only have three good sized Bluegill.

Do they need to get up on something occasionally, out of the water?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If your tank has surface agitation (as would be created by filtration) and the water is being oxygenated, then technically the crayfish does not need to reach the surface for air. An unfiltered bucket of water, on the other hand, can drown a crayfish if said crayfish has been completely submerged and has no place to reach the water's surface. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, eventually the bluegill are very likely to eat the crayfish.
BV

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I have good filtration with surface agitation.

I know how rowdy the Bluegill are (believe me) but these are some good sized Craws. If I provide a really deep hiding place do you think the Bluegill will still get them?

Good article on the Rusty Crawfish jo3olous.

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have good filtration with surface agitation.

I know how rowdy the Bluegill are (believe me) but these are some good sized Craws. If I provide a really deep hiding place do you think the Bluegill will still get them?

Good article on the Rusty Crawfish jo3olous.
lol i googled bluegill + cray and that was the 1st thing to pop up. It was actually cool reading about how bluegills can control crawfish population but if not enough bluegills the crawfish out-mass them ftw.

The only thing I was wondering is if you make such good hiding places for your crawfish, how often will you see it?

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
The only thing I was wondering is if you make such good hiding places for your crawfish, how often will you see it?
I have a clear glass jar laying on its side he kicks back in. Those suckers pinch so hard I can't see anything getting him out if he does not want to come out.

Regarding eating them, these Craws are good sized compared to the Blues and the fish are well fed. But I notice the Bluegill are not even afraid of them. They will pick food from right in front of the Craws.

One of the Craws roams all day, climbing on things and just generally moving around. The other one was near death when I found him, baking in the sun with foam coming from its mouth. I quickly tossed it into a bucket of water and he seems okay. That was two days ago. When I got home today I thought he croaked but when I reached down and poked him, he took off, quick style.

If you don't have any slow-moving fish or bottom dwellers I recommend a Craw or two. Watching them eat is really interesting.