Want to go planted

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
So I want to make my 20G Long tank planted once I xfer all my fish to my new tank (no pics yet camera broken). What kind of plants are pretty easy to grow and maintain?

Also where can I get rocks such as slate and other stuff to make some nice setups/caves?

I live in south jersey by philadelphia, so don't exactly know where to look aside from taking a trip to the woods ~ for the rocks that is // Unless i can get them from a LFS?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Yep, we need to know what lighting you have first. There are lots of low light easy plants, but most need about 2 watts per gallon. You would probably have to upgrade your lighting in order to keep a nice variety of plants.

Check local landscape places for rocks, just make sure you clean them well. They are much cheaper than lfs rocks, and they normally have all kinds of rocks to choose from. I've used large river rocks in my tanks before, and I've broken up flagstone and attached it with silicone to make caves.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry, no lighting so I would like to know what kind of lighting will apply for what kind of plants. There is probably a LARGE assortment to choose from, so lets base it off of pricing. I don't want to spend more than the avg for decent lighting, and I don't want to go with pricey plants either. If that narrows it down @ all~

I kind of just want to try a well planted enviornment, don't really care what kind of fish can go in it for now, I'll prob shop around after I set something up. Prob gonna keep it fishless for a while anyway

Although I have nothing to add, I'd like to see some responses as well. If I ever got some more money, I might want to upgrade at least my 55g lighting, if not the 6.6g too.

I think I have some anubias' in mine (Petco standard) and the bulb says 15W. Idk if that's good or not, but they seem to be holding up well.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
If you don't want to deal with c02 or ferts, then you want low-med lighting, which means about 2-3wpg. So then you need to find a light fixture with 40-60 watts. What do you consider average for lighting? Most of them are going to run $60-$100 for a decent light. The cheapo lighting that comes with most tanks won't cut it for live plants.

Check out The Planted Tank Forum for more info on plants & lighting, and also PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource has lots of info on plants.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should take a trip to That Fish Place/That Pet Place, just west of Philly: Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies and Pond Supplies by That Fish Place - That Pet Place

Compact fluorescent fixtures are usually good value for money for a planted tank. Something like this one would work: Aqualight Power Compact Fixture for Freshwater - Straight Pin - 65W - 24 in. | Compact Fluorescent | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com although you would need to add CO2.

For slightly lower light, a T5 fixture would work: Aqualight with Colormax & 6700K Fluorescent T-5 Lamps - 28W - 48 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
the aqualight power compact fixture looks good, i'll need to figure a new lid for this tank. right now im using one of those mesh reptile tank covers o_0. That fish place/pet place looks awesome but its 2 hours away from me :( I work in philadelphia but I moved back home to south jersey after college so the extra 20 minutes and the fact that it's across the bridge makes it feel extra far

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
the aqualight power compact fixture looks good, i'll need to figure a new lid for this tank. right now im using one of those mesh reptile tank covers o_0. That fish place/pet place looks awesome but its 2 hours away from me :( I work in philadelphia but I moved back home to south jersey after college so the extra 20 minutes and the fact that it's across the bridge makes it feel extra far
You can get a 'versa-top', which is a glass cover that sits on top of the tank, and then you sit the light on it. That's what I use for all of my tanks. Most lfs carry them, or you can order one online from #1 Big Als Aquarium Supplies. Bargain Prices On Fish Supplies: Fish Tanks, Stands, Decorations, Accessories or Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You can get a 'versa-top', which is a glass cover that sits on top of the tank, and then you sit the light on it. That's what I use for all of my tanks. Most lfs carry them, or you can order one online from #1 Big Als Aquarium Supplies. Bargain Prices On Fish Supplies: Fish Tanks, Stands, Decorations, Accessories or Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products
exactly what i was looking for. i was actually thinking of just looking for clear plastic material to make something like this with prior to getting a light, when i just wanted a quick fix lid