Hex Tanks

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Is a Hex tank good for any kind of fish? I mean no matter how big they are they always seem to lack length that most fish needs to swim, but can be very tall at times... if a 15G hex has near identical surface area in comparison to a 30G hex, why bother with the 30G hex? aside from bioload purposes... Like I figure the smaller-medium sized ones are okay for guppies and such, but then you see the really really big hex tanks sometimes and you're just like wth why?

Last edited:

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
I think the thing with hex is... It's pretty? I'm not really sure, from what I know most of the folks here don't like Hex (Or the Biorbs D< ).

I think the problem with them is the surface area (like you said). Personaly I'd buy the 15... It'd be cheaper :p and even if I couldn't keep as many fish... it'd probably fit somewhere better. And as you said, same surface area...

I'm not sure myself... I think hex are made for something like an office aquarium, and even then someone who gets something like that is very likely not to know much about fish. (I mean as in some random guy off the street "ooh this is pretty! It'd look great in my office!" )

I guess it'd be ok for a Betta, or other labrynth organ fish? Perhaps the idea of it is that? A 15 gal with like three female betta... Oooh~

Or I totaly missed the point of your post. Either way :)

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I think the thing with hex is... It's pretty? I'm not really sure, from what I know most of the folks here don't like Hex (Or the Biorbs D< ).

I think the problem with them is the surface area (like you said). Personaly I'd buy the 15... It'd be cheaper :p and even if I couldn't keep as many fish... it'd probably fit somewhere better. And as you said, same surface area...

I'm not sure myself... I think hex are made for something like an office aquarium, and even then someone who gets something like that is very likely not to know much about fish. (I mean as in some random guy off the street "ooh this is pretty! It'd look great in my office!" )

I guess it'd be ok for a Betta, or other labrynth organ fish? Perhaps the idea of it is that? A 15 gal with like three female betta... Oooh~

Or I totaly missed the point of your post. Either way :)
labrynth organ fish??? :confused:

kissyboots said:
I had a 5g hex that was perfect for a betta. I also had my dwarf puffer in there for a while. I didn't like it because you can't vew the fish properly and can't take pictures.
good point about seeing through the tank

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Hex tanks make me ill.

But even worse are bow front tanks.

I think they all should be outlawed.

I would never buy either of them.

Although acrylic bow fronts are not as bad as glass ones.

PS... I don;t like Hex bolts either. Just more friggin' tools I have to buy.

PSS. Ever have a hex put on you? NOT good.

There is a reason they built a pentagon adn not a hexagon!

Hexagons are bab.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hex tanks make me ill.

But even worse are bow front tanks.

I think they all should be outlawed.

I would never buy either of them.

Although acrylic bow fronts are not as bad as glass ones.

PS... I don;t like Hex bolts either. Just more friggin' tools I have to buy.

PSS. Ever have a hex put on you? NOT good.

There is a reason they built a pentagon adn not a hexagon!

Hexagons are bab.

Rofl barely useful knowledge but very funny!

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
labrynth organ fish??? :confused:
Bettas and their cousins gouramis are what are known as labyrinth organ fish. These fish have a unique organ (I give you one good guess to what its called ;)) that allows these fish to take and utilize oxygen from the air rather than through only the water.

This is one reason why bettas are tortured in tiny little bowls and such, because people believe that the only reason people have filters are for the air, and since bettas can breathe from the air they don't need one.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Bettas and their cousins gouramis are what are known as labyrinth organ fish. These fish have a unique organ (I give you one good guess to what its called ;)) that allows these fish to take and utilize oxygen from the air rather than through only the water.

This is one reason why bettas are tortured in tiny little bowls and such, because people believe that the only reason people have filters are for the air, and since bettas can breathe from the air they don't need one.

Is it called the Labyrinth?

Also, I have bolded you comment for more attention to your VERY valid and true point.

Mercury

Large Fish
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
Ugh. My sister has been so annoying lately. She wants a leafy sea dragon. :p Should couldn't even keep her betta alive. Or hermit crab, for that matter. But its a good thing to know about the not being able to see into a hex thing. I was planning on getting a hex for shrimp, but now I think I may get a normal tank.

Just a question, TAL?

Why.

Do.

You.

Post.

Like.

This?

Jun 21, 2008
Haha. A valid question. TAL, just poking fun here, but I don't know that you get to join the "prevent fish torture" group just yet, as you have the equivalent of a men's college basketball team living in a studio apartment going on in your tank. Ha. I know you're upgrading, just giving you a hard time.