My "Painted Swordtail"?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
The fry from my Painted Swordtail are decidely different than my mommy Swordtail.

DO you think that they mean my Painted Swordtail is one of those poor fish that were injected with ink to make them more attractive to buyers???

Oh I hope not....

(I think the fish we had with the red and blue verticle stripes on its side might have been injected too)

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Your female was probably impregnaned by another color strain of swordtail.

This happens all the time.

Where the swords purchaced from a pet store or breeder?

Last edited:

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Correct, many color strains change color as they age, particularly when young.
I have some Hawaiian Blue swords that start life as solid orange and change to a white/blue/orange pattern once they are adults.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
These guys are a little over three weeks....
So we will wait and see.

I just do not want to encourage the torture of poor little fishys.

True too, the Deadbeat Dad might have looked a bit diff...

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Most fish aren't painted any more. I know my petco doesn't carry any painted fish. They do carry the Glofish, but that is not cruel to the fish. All that has happened to them is one gene attatched to the end of their DNA is from a jelly fish, making them bright-colored. It causes no pain, and doesn't do anything else. They've been in the market for years without anyone complaining of them.

But yeah, I seriously doubt you have any painted fish. You would have noticed, she would have either died by now or the color would have faded.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Most fish aren't painted any more. I know my petco doesn't carry any painted fish. They do carry the Glofish, but that is not cruel to the fish. All that has happened to them is one gene attatched to the end of their DNA is from a jelly fish, making them bright-colored. It causes no pain, and doesn't do anything else. They've been in the market for years without anyone complaining of them.

But yeah, I seriously doubt you have any painted fish. You would have noticed, she would have either died by now or the color would have faded.
the glo gene is passed from parent to offspring as well..they are illegal in california. GloFish® Fluorescent Fish FAQ

I doubt the cost of dying a swordtail would make it worth while but i am sure it is possible but like Ray said the chances are probably slim...most dyed fish i see are parrots (hybrids)..

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
You must not have been in the hobby when they were introduced.

Quite a few people complained about them.
I have one and would not buy another.

My wife and daughter picked it out because it wqas bright yellow and they were told it would glow in the dark. (WHICH it only does with certain conditions met)

ANyways, I am no fan of genetic engineeering and would never buy another.

The company states on their website that the state of california is open to approving their fish buit they do not want the cost of gaining that approval. OR MAYBE RISKING exposing some other risk related to their destruction of one of God's creations.