Discus Fish, Are they right for me?

Oct 5, 2008
Hey people, I have a 21 gallon fish tank which is coming along niceley, I've had it for two years now. It is a well planted tank with a piece of Mopia Wood soaking in a bucket which I shall be placing in soon, My Tank has some guppies, Platies, Clown Loaches, Algie Eaters, an Angle fish and some neon Tetras. I have recently been seeking a few new additions to my tank when I came across the lovley Disscuss, I have done much research in to them and realized they could fit well to my tank, But the size is a concern for me, So my Question is Will my tank do well with a Disscuss? Ben*BOUNCINGS ( After what people have said the Discus Would be bad move) Btw My clown Loaches and Angle fish are no longer than 3-4 inches and there have been no sign of growth since they reached that size.

Last edited:

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
NNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

With angelfish, clown loaches in that tank it is already overstocked, or soon will be. Clown loaches get huge. Think 12"+. Discus need pretty pristine water conditions to thrive. I wouldn't try it.

Now if you were to upgrade to a 125g that would be different.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Even without the fish that you currently have, the tank wouldn't be big enough for discus. Discus get really big, so they need a tall tank. And they prefer to be kept in groups of 6+, so you would need at least a 75 gallon tank.

Clown loaches really shouldn't be in a 21 gallon tank either BTW, they get really big too.

Oct 5, 2008
NNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

With angelfish, clown loaches in that tank it is already overstocked, or soon will be. Clown loaches get huge. Think 12"+. Discus need pretty pristine water conditions to thrive. I wouldn't try it.

Now if you were to upgrade to a 125g that would be different.
That also is something i would like to ask, I have had both the angle and the cloaches for over a year the size for both is around 3-4 inches this is for every angle fish I have had. But I see what you mean.

Oct 5, 2008
Even without the fish that you currently have, the tank wouldn't be big enough for discus. Discus get really big, so they need a tall tank. And they prefer to be kept in groups of 6+, so you would need at least a 75 gallon tank.

Clown loaches really shouldn't be in a 21 gallon tank either BTW, they get really big too.
I think Ill aim for something smaller then , Thanks for the info, I thought I best ask before buying,
P.S I have had the Clown Loaches for a considarably long time and they havent exeeded the size of 3-4 inches, Thanks for the comment :):)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
What is your feeding and water chance schedule like?

Clown loaches are known for taken eons to reach full length, i really wouldn't be concerned with that right now if i were you. The angel i'd be more concerned with. 3-4 inches the whole year does not sound right, could possibly be stunted in growth.

As for the discus, short answer no. The mix of fish isn't all that terrible (Though i rather not put platies and guppies in with my discus), but the size of tank presents a concern.

Oct 5, 2008
What is your feeding and water chance schedule like?

Clown loaches are known for taken eons to reach full length, i really wouldn't be concerned with that right now if i were you. The angel i'd be more concerned with. 3-4 inches the whole year does not sound right, could possibly be stunted in growth.

As for the discus, short answer no. The mix of fish isn't all that terrible (Though i rather not put platies and guppies in with my discus), but the size of tank presents a concern.
I think from what I've herd Ill leave the Discus. With the angle fish, This has been the case for all of which Ive had, Could there be a desease Im not seeing?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Why not take the $$ you would have spent on discus and buy a bigger tank? That would solve quite a few of your difficulties, and may be suitable for discus later.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Bigger tank = Better quality and money spent overall! i learned this the hard way and with a 21 gallon tank or 20 gallon tank its hard to expand anywhere.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
I think from what I've herd Ill leave the Discus. With the angle fish, This has been the case for all of which Ive had, Could there be a desease Im not seeing?

many people have never had problems with angels and discus...its more of a myth. angels dont carry any bacteria or anything that can transfer to discus specifically. they can carry diseases like any other fish and pass them on like any other fish