Why so many gph on ro?

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
I am new to the reef part of sw, but the ro filters im looking at have more gph than needed? Maybe I am looking to far into it but why would I need 50 gal pd?
:confused:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Obviously, it's all about time. If you get a 50gpd RO filter, it will take half an hour to make a gallon of water. If you need something like 10 gallons, you'll need to wait five hours... which can seem like an eternity. And remember that during that time, you won't be able to use that sink (unless you do a bypass).

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Yeah when I bought my 100gpd DI system it seemed like a lot until I filled my 75 gal up. Took 3 days hehe. Mine I put a T off the main line so I can still use the sink without affecting the DI output but it dribbles out. 5 gallons is over a couple hours of waiting. Now that I'm just using the water for changes and top offs 100gpd is OK. I wouldn't get a 50gpd unless you have only small tanks.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
i get the drift but cant you set it up like an ice maker that taps into the pipe itself????
Yeah my 6 stage DI came with the pipe biting clamp thing like an ice maker kit but for some reason my lines had some 5/8" flexible hose coming out of the wall fitting to the sink so I just bought a 5/8" T that had a 1/4" fitting on it for the DI system.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can do a Y connector to attach it. Be careful with how you plumb it in, because you need to have at least 60psi water pressure (more is better).

You'll also need to work out a way to remember to turn it off, otherwise you'll have a flood. You can get float switches to stop the flow.