Nitrates question

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
In the past my tanks have run between 5-10 ppm on Nitrates. Other bad stuff, zero. 25% water changes every week.

Because I feed my fish somewhat heavily I checked Nitrates. Maybe around 40 ppm. Other bad stuff zero.

So I checked my tap water; between 10-20 ppm (ground water, no Chloramines, just free Chlorine at about .8ppm).

Then I checked some bottled water (ozonated, R.O. treated) it showed about 5ppm.

I'm using an A.P.I. Pro kit. Closely following the directions.

Anyone else tested their tap water (or bottled water) for Nitrates and hit a positive?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's pretty common to have some nitrates in the water, especially in agricultural areas. The "goal" for public health is to have less than 40ppm nitrates in drinking water. You may also find that the nitrates fluctuate throughout the year in your tapwater.

I wouldn't worry too much about 20ppm nitrates, it should be fine, unless you have sensitive fish. Plants would help somewhat to remove nitrates.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
It's pretty common to have some nitrates in the water, especially in agricultural areas.
That makes sense as I know I've tested before and found 5-10 ppm Nitrate concentrations.

I may look around in some plant forums and see what's involved with having a planted tank. I stayed away from live plants thinking it would be easier to keep the tank healthy.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
SeaChem Prime and Nitra-Zorb may help you control your nitrates.

I would lean towards SeaChem Prime.