Fishless Water Cycle

amcclure

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2008
I'm planning on doing a fishless water cycle on my 5 gallon tank. I bought ammonia from the store and I was wondering if ammonia is dangerous if it comes in contact with your skin? But also can real plants be kept during the cycle?

Edit: I also read that people use Shrimp (ones used for human consumption) instead of ammonia. Anyone ever tried this method?

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I'm planning on doing a fishless water cycle on my 5 gallon tank. I bought ammonia from the store and I was wondering if ammonia is dangerous if it comes in contact with your skin? But also can real plants be kept during the cycle?

Edit: I also read that people use Shrimp (ones used for human consumption) instead of ammonia. Anyone ever tried this method?
The ammonia you bought should be dilute enough so that it won't irritate your skin. Plants can be kept during the cycle. Some of them absorb the nitrogen in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates quite quickly, like hornwort, and duckweed...

Shrimp are extra sensitive to ammonia, nitrites, and high amounts of nitrates... I definitely wouldn't recommend them to cycle a tank - they wouldn't make it.

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I think he meant using a dead shrimp (like the kind you buy to eat). I have heard of this, but I think I would stick with the ammonia.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I think he meant using a dead shrimp (like the kind you buy to eat). I have heard of this, but I think I would stick with the ammonia.
lol, I was reading it quickly and i thought it read "ones not for human consumption"

Anything that breaks down into ammonia will work... but since you now have ammonia, that'd be much easier, and quicker