NO Protein Skimmer in 60g FOWLR?

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I have a 60g FW tank that I am considering switching to SW. This is an acrylic custom tank with a precise cut top that leaves just enough room in the back for a Biowheel 350 and openings in the center of the tank.

Please see below
60 R Rectangular (48x15x18)

The tank is not drilled.

Due to the tank's size, must I have a sump?

I considered using an in-tank Protein SKimmer but there are no holes large enough for the skimmer cup. Thus I do not see how I can use a PS.

So basically this tank would use the Biowheel 350 as a full filter. The tank would be a Fish Only (no coral) setup.

Is this dream, well just unrealsitc?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
You don't have to have a sump but you definitely should have a skimmer. Ditch the biowheel and get a HOB skimmer like an AquaC Remora. The live rock is your biological filter in a FOWLR tank.

Or do a sump and use a HOB overflow down to the sump and put an in sump skimmer in there.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Better yet as it is an acrylic tank you could easily drill it for overflows to a sump where you could house your heater and skimmer. Powerheads are not optional and will need tobe placed in the tank to provide water flow. Live rock provides the bio filter so no biowheel at all.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I didn't think of the AquaC.. Good idea!!

Has anyone had experiences (both good/bad) with this skimmer??
I have the AquaC Pro on my 75 and I love it. Easy to install virtually no tweaking needed. I adjusted the O ring on the collection tray once after setup to get a dryer foam off it and that was it. If you don't get the pro version make sure you get the Aquajet 1200 instead of the Rio 900 on it. I like it enough that on my sump I'll probably just keep it and hang it off the back of the sump rather then buy a in sump skimmer.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had the aqua c remora pro on my 75 and currently have the regular model on my 30g and both are outstanding skimmers. plug and play without any hassles, just get the pump upgrade

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Skimmers tend to be underrated....I wouldn't personally put the pro on anything bigger than a 90g and the regular on anything larger than a 60g, even then you may be pushing the limits