flower horn cichlid information needed

I am really interested in getting a flower horn cichlid. And my question is it safe to put one that is one and half inches into my tank which already has a firemouth:1.5 inches, green severum:1.5 inches, and blood parrot:4 inches.
My tank is a 75 gallon.

And in which sex does the flower horn cichlid not have a hump on its head after it gets bigger?

20G- ready quarantine tank
75G-2 plecos, 4" blood parrot, 1.5" firemouth, 1.5" green severum

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Your 75 gal. is already fully stocked when you consider the adult sizes of the fish you've listed. In fact, you may find it to be somewhat overstocked depending on what type of plecos are in there. When I say 'overstocked,' I'm specifically referring to the adult bioload on the tank---in other words, the physical amount of waste (based on number/type/size of fish) 75 gallons of water could handle with sufficient filtration.

Of course, only you will be able to tell whether or not the tank works from a compatibility standpoint down the road once those cichlids mature. I think it stands a decent chance.

All that said, my answer would definitely be a resounding NO to adding a Flowerhorn into the mix. The Flowerhorn itself would probably be fine, but it may very well end up killing all of its tankmates once it matures. I definitely wouldn't add one to this mix.

One last point...as far as I know, the nuchal hump is not an accurate way of sexing Flowerhorns. The trend may be for males to develop larger humps, but I'd say that sexing based on that is iffy at best. Flowerhorn experts may tell you otherwise, in which case I stand corrected.
BV

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
talks of their aggression is scary o_0... and they have potential to grow up to 16'' in length. Also carnivores, so I wouldn't keep it with fish that will fit in its mouth. I don't think the 75G will be big enough overtime.

The firemouth cichlid is more peaceful than most, and they don't get as large, I would say they do good with convicts, etc. The Severum is also somewhat peaceful. Don't know too much about the blood parrot. Your tank chemistry looks good right now, I don't think the flowerhorn would complement it much at all. :( get another tank ? lol

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
lol i don't even think it would physically fit, unless you bought a juve, but if you have some fish to get rid of, a flowerhead will surely take care of that *GOLDFISH*
lol... I guess it would be entertaining, sticking one in my 10g watching him eat up all my 3 inch fish... but I don't think I could live with myself. At least my Yellow Gourami's would stop fighting!

Your 75 gal. is already fully stocked when you consider the adult sizes of the fish you've listed. In fact, you may find it to be somewhat overstocked depending on what type of plecos are in there. When I say 'overstocked,' I'm specifically referring to the adult bioload on the tank---in other words, the physical amount of waste (based on number/type/size of fish) 75 gallons of water could handle with sufficient filtration.

Of course, only you will be able to tell whether or not the tank works from a compatibility standpoint down the road once those cichlids mature. I think it stands a decent chance.

All that said, my answer would definitely be a resounding NO to adding a Flowerhorn into the mix. The Flowerhorn itself would probably be fine, but it may very well end up killing all of its tankmates once it matures. I definitely wouldn't add one to this mix.

One last point...as far as I know, the nuchal hump is not an accurate way of sexing Flowerhorns. The trend may be for males to develop larger humps, but I'd say that sexing based on that is iffy at best. Flowerhorn experts may tell you otherwise, in which case I stand corrected.
BV
I'm very grateful for the information you have but i still have a question I thought flowerhorns only grew to 8" according to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums which is a site i trust very much because of there qualification plus my firemouth and green severum were bought from them. I have never counted plecos to be part of my my fish to size of aquarium ratio. Even if their just bottom dwellers and always hide i should count them?

20G- ready quarantine
75G- 2 plecos, 4" blood parrot, 1.5"firemouth and green severum

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
They are big poop machines, so yes.
yes, bioloads are very important factors for your tank! Goldfish, common plecos, oscars, etc have large bioloads so they need tons of water volume to spread out their wastes, otherwise theyd be swimming in their own pee and poo *SICK* Just beware that inch per gallon rule for stocking a tank isn't always the most important factor, it's good to know what each fish individually requires for space are far as bioload/dwelling area/territorial behavior are concerned