Special little cory

Oct 18, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
I have a special little albino cory that has totally freaked me out 3x now. I say he is special since he is missing an eye and is the smallest fish I have. Since I'm dealing with high ammonia and possibly ick now, I figure it could be quite possible I may lose a fish. So one morning when this cory was stuck up against the filter I didn't really think anything of it and went in to get him unstuck and out of the tank. When I unstuck him.... He swam away.... Ok cool.... The next time he was laying totally motionless on his side (almost upside down) at the bottom of the tank. I went in to get him and after almost getting him in the net..... He swam away...... Same thing happened this last time. He is very active when not laying upside down on the bottom. Maybe he just totally wears himself out. *SLEEPING*

Oct 21, 2008
wellll if it has happened over a short period of time, I might be worried. but if this is something that has occured over a longer period of time maybe he has a nerve problem and just freezes up sometimes.

Jul 18, 2007
Your cory sounds like one of my Otos. His name is Pete the Pirate and he is the smallest of 4 otos and is also missng an eye. He is my favorite. I would like to give him his own tank but don't want to stress him in moving.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
your cory could be on death row... :( I would start taking very good care of your water now and keep an eye on the perameters. You'll want everything to be near perfect so your little guy has the highest % possible to live :)

Oct 18, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
I don't think he is going to make it. It's horrible watching him just lay around.
I'm doing daily water changes to get my ammonia down, which is working. I did the the raise the temperature method to get rid of ick. That worked. However, I lost one of my cherry barbs the other night. What a freaking learning experience this has all been so far.:(

your cory could be on death row... :( I would start taking very good care of your water now and keep an eye on the perameters. You'll want everything to be near perfect so your little guy has the highest % possible to live :)

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
I have had two corys do this at two different times. They both died after a few days. Keep in mind that weak fish get sucked up by the filter. Or get themselves stuck by the filter. How ever you want to say it. Sorry about your cory. I have had no good luck with corys. They only seem to live for a few months (for me). Good luck with your little guy. Tina