Fish suggestion

Apr 4, 2008
Hi, I've had a small tank (25L) for almost a year. I have 4 neon tetras, an otocinclus and a couple of guppies. I've had bad luck with the guppies, one has lasted the whole time, others die, I replace them, then the new ones die after a few months. I can't work out what i'm doing wrong, i've tested everything, levels are all normal, can't see any problems. So I want to give up on the guppies, any ideas for a hardy fish or two to join my tank?

Regards,
Chris.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ottos and Neons are usually by far the more sensitive fish in the tank...its possible that wherever you're getting your guppies from is just selling a weak strain. Rounding and saying that you have a 12 gallon tank, you have room for a bit more in the tank. Lets see what would go with neons and an otto...you could get a betta? In a tank that small you dont really want to get any fish that get too big, and schooling fish like to be in bigger groups....how about looking for some fish that stay pretty small like the neons, ember tetras or harlequin rasboras? They are my two favorite little fish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
oops sorry for some reason I thought the OP said 45L :( SOooo scratch that, I would agree with adding some more neons, or how about a ghost shrimp or two? or an apple snail...or an african dwarf frog?

Apr 4, 2008
Hi, I finally got around to getting some new fish. I got one guppy and two harlequin rasboras, I like them, very cool little fish. The shop guy said to try some different food, with some specifically for livebearers, the stuff I had was a general flakes. So now i've got some with the dried worms, as well as some pellets to mix it up a bit. How often should I be feeding, just interested in peoples opinions on this?

Thanks for you help and suggestions,
Chris.