I assume this is the right place...

Hupdo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2008
Hi; as you might have guessed, I'm new here. Extremely new.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some information on my tank.

I have a 20 gallon [long] tank. No live plants, just plastic. I have a plastic cave and driftwood thing in there, too.

I have, of course, the necessary equipment: heater, filter, and hood.

I managed to buy a few more fish today, so I will read off my complete list. These are all in the 20 gallon tank. If you think it's crowded, not to worry: I am planning on buying a 10 gallon tank for my birthday; I'll definately move some to there.

20 Gallon Tank:
Blackskirt tetra - 5
Giant danio - 5
Blueberry tetra - 2
Bleeding-heart tetra - 3
Brochis splendens - 1
Dwarf gourami - 1
Common plecostomus - 1
Rubber-lip plecostomus - 1
Red wag platy - 2
Australian rainbowfish - 3

EDIT: I could post pictures if you are interested. I appreciate any comments you may want to leave!

Hupdo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, I was warned that plecos can reach a big size... but, in case of an emergency, I have a 50 gallon tank (just about) waiting in the shed, which I also plan to set up.

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Well then I think you are right on track then. I do hear that they are relatively slow growers, so it's not like he's going to be a foot after a month. I think you are pretty good. Pictures would be awesome by the way!

As a beginner, if you use the one inch of fish per gallon of water rule of thumb as a guide, you'll be fine. I'd definitely set that 10g up and move some fish (don't forget to cycle.)

Even in a 50g that common pleco could get a little cramped. The rubberlip isn't a problem; he'll only get around 6 inches.

Nice assortment of schooling fish. Do they all school together?

Other than that, you've got a nice setup. You'll soon learn that we MFTers love pictures! So keep them coming! :)

Don't be surprised if you develop MTS (multiple tank syndrome.) Looks like you're on the right track already, three tanks and then a member of MFT. :D Hehehe.

Welcome to the tank! :)

Hupdo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2008
As a beginner, if you use the one inch of fish per gallon of water rule of thumb as a guide, you'll be fine. I'd definitely set that 10g up and move some fish (don't forget to cycle.)

Even in a 50g that common pleco could get a little cramped. The rubberlip isn't a problem; he'll only get around 6 inches.

Nice assortment of schooling fish. Do they all school together?

Other than that, you've got a nice setup. You'll soon learn that we MFTers love pictures! So keep them coming! :)

Don't be surprised if you develop MTS (multiple tank syndrome.) Looks like you're on the right track already, three tanks and then a member of MFT. :D Hehehe.

Welcome to the tank! :)
Lol. I definately have MTS. I caught it a while ago, I think; I just haven't gotten around to setting up the big tank yet. :D

Anyway, my fish, oddly, are not very "keen" on schooling. I don't know why this is; sometimes my danios will school, but they usually just go about their business relatively spaced out. Same with the blackskirts, though they can sometimes be seen together. The blueberries usually stay together. The platies, too. My new bleeding-hearts have been staying with each other since I put them in the tank.

I will edit my post with a few pictures momentarily. Thanks for commenting! :D

Anyway, my fish, oddly, are not very "keen" on schooling. I don't know why this is; sometimes my danios will school, but they usually just go about their business relatively spaced out. Same with the blackskirts, though they can sometimes be seen together. The blueberries usually stay together. The platies, too. My new bleeding-hearts have been staying with each other since I put them in the tank.
Hmm, my danios don't really school either, unless something freaks them out. I'm assuming it's because there isn't any other fish that's bigger than them to bully them around. But that is gonna change soon. :)

Hupdo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2008
Haha. You actually have a good point there... as with your tank, or so you say, the danios (especially one) are the largest fish in the tank. Well, the largest active, anyway; I'm not sure how the gourami measures up to the biggest giant danio.

Anyway, it is taking a little while for pictures to upload, but I assure you they're uploading.... lol.

Also, would it be safe to add smaller fish to this tank, such as rasboras or smaller tetras such as neons? I haven't added any yet just because I would hate to see them get eaten by something larger...

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
20 Gallon Tank:
Blackskirt tetra - 5
Giant danio - 5
Blueberry tetra - 2
Bleeding-heart tetra - 3

Brochis splendens - 1
Dwarf gourami - 1
Common plecostomus - 1
Rubber-lip plecostomus - 1
Red wag platy - 2
Australian rainbowfish - 3

I highlighted in BOLD what I think you should keep in the 20G. Those should push your stocking limit to the max, and should look nice. I would use your 50 gal and upcoming 10 gal to rehome the others :)

Hupdo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2008
Okay, sounds great! Thanks! :D

I was thinking of moving the more peaceful fish like the platies and gourami into the 10G when I get it.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I highlighted in BOLD what I think you should keep in the 20G. Those should push your stocking limit to the max, and should look nice. I would use your 50 gal and upcoming 10 gal to rehome the others :)
Looks like Jo3olous has got you covered.. the only thing I would add that I didnt see mentioned is ALWAYS quarantine new fish...It looks like you have quite abit invested in your current stock, it would suck if you added a sick fish in there that caused them all to get it...

Any way Welcome to the tank!!!