The return of the Newb Questions

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Last week I topped up the water on my 25g tank, but I have not really done a water change in a good three weeks or so - so this morning I figured I would take a look at how much nitrate is in there. According to the test, there is none.

None? That doesn't seem right.

Check ammonia, nitrite, phosphate - none, none, 0.5 mg/L. Well, okay... at least the fish seem happy and healthy. I still thought I would get some kind of nitrate reading, more because of the pleco than the danios. As for the phosphate, that just comes from the food and isn't part of the cycle, correct? I don't even know how much is considered safe.

In the meantime, my 45g tank currently seems to have 1ppm ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate, and no phosphate. The bubbles on the surface have started to decline. I'm going to add some more ammonia today, but I'm wondering where the heck the ammonia is going if I can't find any nitrites or nitrates?

My best guesses include:

- Faulty Nitrate test: every manufacturer has the occasional bad batch.
- Underpopulated: in the 25g, perhaps the fish just don't poop enough to give a reading in three weeks.
- User Error: Honestly, I don't know what I'm really doing, I'm just following instructions and comparing colors. You all did it too.
- Act of God: in the 45g, I'm at a loss. After seeding multiple times from the 25g, I thought I'd see some hint of nitrite by now (8 days).
- Patience is a Virtue: Yeah, I know, I want it all sooner than later. I'm fighting the urge to dump and rinse the 45g and transfer everything over from the 25g, but the urges are starting to win!

Anyway, if I'm clearly doing something wrong again (like changing out all my filter media every two weeks, rookie mistake) please let me know. And I'll try to be patient with the cycling.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
the biggest mistake I have seen others make is not following the directions on the nitrate cards to the letter (with my API kit I use the instruction booklet everytime)...not shaking the bottle for the given time, etc.. do you have plants in the 25G? If so you may not see any nitrates.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
the biggest mistake I have seen others make is not following the directions on the nitrate cards to the letter (with my API kit I use the instruction booklet everytime)...not shaking the bottle for the given time, etc.. do you have plants in the 25G? If so you may not see any nitrates.
Nope, I am plantless - until I get this 45g going smooth. Then the 25g will get stripped and resealed to become an experimental planted tank. There is a very small amount of a red algae growing on some of the fake plants, but that's it. Part of the reason I want to learn how to keep plants is because they might help me manage the nitrates when I stock more fish.

Regarding directions - they wouldn't have written the directions on the back of the color chart if they didn't think it was a good idea to follow them. I go so far as to use the stopwatch function on my watch to make sure I'm doing it right.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Nope, I am plantless - until I get this 45g going smooth. Then the 25g will get stripped and resealed to become an experimental planted tank. There is a very small amount of a red algae growing on some of the fake plants, but that's it. Part of the reason I want to learn how to keep plants is because they might help me manage the nitrates when I stock more fish.

Regarding directions - they wouldn't have written the directions on the back of the color chart if they didn't think it was a good idea to follow them. I go so far as to use the stopwatch function on my watch to make sure I'm doing it right.
hmm... while I agree like I said it is a common mistake..but the pictures on the card show you "flipping" the bottle for 30 seconds the insructions want you to vigorously shake it for ATLEAST 30 seconds.. same with the test tube..if your doing it right then user error is pretty much avoided. It is possible you have a bad kit..but from the folks here in past posts this seems to be a 1 in a million possiblity, so if it's bad go play the lottery..lol.

I suppose it is possible that with that low of stocking and light feedings you may just not have any nitrates..However my 24G which has always been lightly stocked and lightly planted usually reads 5 Nitrates.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...ns/51392-learning-use-api-tests-im-idiot.html

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
hmm... while I agree like I said it is a common mistake..but the pictures on the card show you "flipping" the bottle for 30 seconds the insructions want you to vigorously shake it for ATLEAST 30 seconds.. same with the test tube..if your doing it right then user error is pretty much avoided. It is possible you have a bad kit..but from the folks here in past posts this seems to be a 1 in a million possiblity, so if it's bad go play the lottery..lol.
(digs out book and reads each test)... I'll be damned. For those who don't care to dig their instruction booklet out, here is what I'm reading:

Instructions for pH - "Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution..."

Instructions for Ammonia - "Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for 5 seconds..."

Instructions for Nitrite - "Cap the test tube and shake the tube for 5 seconds..."

Instructions for Nitrate - "(10 drops from first bottle) Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution.... Vigorously shake [bottle 2] for at least 30 seconds.... (10 drops from second bottle)... Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for one minute..."

Brian, thank you for pointing that out. Granted I should have read the #@!*% instructions more carefully, for API to use the same symbol for so many different actions on the backs of the charts is disturbingly misleading. I have to wonder just how many people are making this mistake regularly.

Excuse me, I have some more tests to perform.