Ammo Loc

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
What is the best way to get Ammo Loc out of my tank?
Will frequent water changes eventually get it out of the system?
Thank you*celebrate

Jun 21, 2008
I think that part of the reason that people often recommend against using ammo lock is because it is so hard to get out of the water. Water changes may be the only way to get rid of it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep, water changes will take care of it after awhile. Its not that its going to "hurt" anything while its there, might just throw your test results off.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
It's also good to know how it got there too. Is it from a high Bio-load or is it in the water to begin with?

Some water can contain Ammonia because the water company may be using Chloramines to disinfect the water. Call your water service company and find out if they use a free Chlorine residual or Chloramination (Chloramines) to disinfect.

Jun 21, 2008
Sombunya, I don't think Tmony is asking about ammonia in the tank, I think they are asking about ammo lock, which I'm assuming they put in the tank to either help with cycling or for some other reason.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sombunya, I don't think Tmony is asking about ammonia in the tank, I think they are asking about ammo lock, which I'm assuming they put in the tank to either help with cycling or for some other reason.
Yea ammo loc is a product used to detoxify ammonia.

Agree with Froggy (not that she needs a second opinon..lol)..I would recommend using Prime in the future for ammonia, chlorine, etc.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for the input everyone. My biggest problem was that I didn't have time to properly cycle the tank. I moved to a new home 250 miles from my previous home and brought my pond fish with me. (hey, they're part of the family too) Needed to put them in a tank until I can build a new pond next spring. Made the mistake of using Ammo Loc (now I know better) and am trying to get it out of the water, so I can once again get an accurate read on everything. Never had ammonia issues in my pond, so I never had any use for a product like ammo loc before. Haven't used Prime before, but I will check it out.