What to put in a 30g tank?

Nov 26, 2008
Hey, I just got a new 30 gallon tank and I want to get some fish for it. Ideally I want a "smart" fish, like a chichlid (i've heard they are smart) and I would prefer it is not incredibly hard to raise. Are there any oscars that would fit in this tank?

Nov 26, 2008
It's actually a 29 gallon. It's a tall tank, probably a 2x1x1.5 ratio. Can you recommend any smart fish? I was thinking a puffer at first, but the ammonia secretion sounds annoying.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
You could go with some Africans, maybe. Not sure how you define smart. But I would think you should stay away from angels. I love them, but they are one of the dumbest fish.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Goldfish sometimes get a bad rap . . . guess it may be because you can win one at the fair or use them for live food. They are sometimes looked at as having little value. I happen to love the different varieties. (I currently have 2-commons, 2-comets, 6-shubunkins, 2-fantails and a black moor) They are very smart fish and can be trained to do a variety of tricks if you have the patience. Also, check out Aquariumguys website for some interesting ideas at the link below:

R2 Fish School

Good luck!

Nov 26, 2008
Goldfish sometimes get a bad rap . . . guess it may be because you can win one at the fair or use them for live food. They are sometimes looked at as having little value. I happen to love the different varieties. (I currently have 2-commons, 2-comets, 6-shubunkins, 2-fantails and a black moor) They are very smart fish and can be trained to do a variety of tricks if you have the patience. Also, check out Aquariumguys website for some interesting ideas at the link below:

R2 Fish School

Good luck!
Hmm, i'll check em out, but I would rather get a more unique fish.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I think I get what you mean by "smart". And I'm actually going to have to go with Angels (sorry bunker1 ;) ) because of the size of tank. Depends on your level of experience though... I would partially agree with bunker1's assessment, *captive* bred (possibly poorly bred) angels don't seem to have much going on upstairs but wild caught (or even F1's) will interact with you to a degree. I remember as a kid I would "charge" (move my head closer, fast) a tank with some F1 P. scalare's and there was one male that would charge back (REALLY EASY to sex with wild caught/good breeding, adult P. altums are even easier, P. leopoldi not so much) . We would go like that for 20-30 min at a time before one of us got bored lol ;).

There's also any of the Dwarf Cichlids, but when you get down to it for interaction you're really looking at predators. Makes sense right? They need to be aware of and interact with their surroundings.

Chris

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I would second the dwarf cichlids, they are abit rarer..meaning you wont find them at petco/petsmart for the most part. IME most fish will interact to some degree, the fish that interacted the most with me was a green sunfish, he actually seemed to like me being around. The oscars are second, my convicts pairs are interesting to watch, the way they interact with each other is amazing, almost like they know what the other is going to do, especially in defending their babies.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I know what you are saying Chris, but any angels I have had remind me of the seagulls in finding nemo, lol. Food?!? Food?!? Is that food? I hope it's food!
I will go along with the dwraf cichlid idea. I love my GBR's. They come up and look at you and spin around. Plus they love to make little pockets in the gravel. They won't talk to me for at least a day when I clean the gravel, lol.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
LMAO! I couldn't stop laughing at that scene *laughingc. I think it's "MINE!" but the point's the same lol.

Just about anything (fish or otherwise) that learns to associate you with food will get that "mentality" to a point. It's just my experience the majority (by no means all) of wild caught seem to take longer to get there. Almost more "mannered" for lack of a better term.

And that's my fill of personification of fish for the day lol. ;)

Chris

You could go with some Africans, maybe. Not sure how you define smart. But I would think you should stay away from angels. I love them, but they are one of the dumbest fish.
I would disagree with this. Angels are actually very intelligent for a fish.
I would go with something like a pair of German blue rams, some school of tetra(4-6) and maybe a bottom feeder like cory's.

I have a question I do not know where to ask. I have a tall 30g aquarium but the canopy light fixture does not work. I got it from my aunt and I think she has said that the problem is in the canopy and not the light bulb. Any suggestions on what I could do? Also I have no idea what make the aquarium is so its hard to look online for things.